Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drive Removal Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 01:35 PM

I need to temporarily remove my DVD, and Floppy drive, from this system, and move it to my other system, to install the OS, and drivers.

In the Device manager, should I Disable, or Uninstall the drives?
This is only, a temporary move.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 01:47 PM

you'll have to power off your system completely before removing hardware.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 01:58 PM

When I move hardware (which I do a lot of, with two home systems), I don't even worry about disabling or uninstalling anything unless it's a permanent change.

Your BIOS is probably on autodetect of drives and it won't make any difference re the drives. Even if it weren't, the BIOS has no problem with drives which are not there, it's drives which are connected and not recognized which are the problem (mostly on older BIOSes).

A quirk I discovered last year is that my BIOS won't allow me to disable the floppy, doing so caused me boot problems.

So, just take them out and put them back at your leisure :thumbsup:.

Louis

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 05:23 PM

Yeah, I know I'll need to power off, before removing anyyhing, Robert Isbell.
I just wanted to make sure I'd be able to reboot, without any conflicts, minus the drives.
I need the drives for getting a new system up, but I also need the present system running, in case I need help with the install. :thumbsup:

That's what I was looking for, hamluis.

Thanks everyone, for the input. :flowers:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 08:24 PM

Hi TG, those devices are plug and play, as you know you don't want to do this with the system powered up, but the install wizard will recognize these guys as new hardware when they are installed and powered up and will go through the installation process which will install the drivers that are native and appropriate. Your Os will usually have the needed drivers for devices like your floppy and CD-ROM, but devices like printers and scanner you will need the CD for the drivers for those devices.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:03 PM

Thanks, dc3.
That's good to hear.
Just wanted to make sure I didn't have to remove them, through the Device Manager.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users