Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiply Problems...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ussoace

ussoace

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:29 AM

Hello all...
this is my first post on the forum.
i have taken my problem to another site (whatthetech.com) and they were not able to fix my problem.
it all started with having Smitfraud-C on my computer. but the other site got rid of that and any other adaware.
i can assure you that i do NOT have any adaware or viruses on this thing, we worked on it for 4 days straight couldnt find a thing anymore.
so i'm hping someone on this site can save my computer without having to re-install XP.
My problem(s) is that website such as break.com, youtube or any other video websites will not work for me.
the page will load, but the video will not come up. sometimes it briefs me to download flash player.
which brings me to my next problem. when i try to go download certain thing, files, pictures etc. it will NOT let me.
i can sit here and click on the link all day it will not budge.
and the last problem i have (i think) is that certain software will not respond any more.
programs such as Software Mechanical Pro7, AIM or even system restore...
i turn off any firewalls and all security when i try this, and still no luck.
i REALLY hope someone on here can help me.

Kev

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:35 AM

Hi ussoace! Welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

Despite your assurances to the contrary, these symptoms suggest the presence of yet undiscovered malware. The fact that you didn't find any may mean that said malware has hidden itself well.

Your best bet, in my humble opinion would be to post a HijackThis log in our HijackThis forum. We have a team of highly skilled analysts who can help you make double sure that you're clean.

Read how to generate a HJT log and post it to the forum here.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 03 November 2007 - 10:36 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:39 AM

Well...I don't have a solution, but I can tell you that...if malware is capable of corrupting, modifying, or otherwise removing key files (and it is), then removing malware after-the-fact may not necessarily result in a system being restored to proper functioning.

Assuming that the system IS clean and that you now have proper defenses updated, installed, and active...I suggest running a repair install of XP. That would seem to me to be the best route to pursue, other persons in the forum probably have different ideas.

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

FWIW: Never, never turn off your firewall while you are connected to the Internet. I don't know where you obtained that particular strategy but...don't do it.

The long way of attempting to troubleshoot all this would begin with my asking you to check Event Viewer for errors indicated.

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Louis

#4 ussoace

ussoace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:42 AM

ill post the HJT but to be truthful,
i dont think it will have any different affects...
thanks

Kev

#5 ussoace

ussoace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:15 AM

ok, so its official.
i dont have any malware or anything of that kind.
so if anyone has any other suggestions they would be GREATLY appreciated...

Kev

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 02:35 PM

Remember this one...repair install?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users