Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking Problems With Ie7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mmartinez

mmartinez

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:15 AM

Hello,

I had a trojan virus about a month ago that RichieUK helped me remove. All is well now, no more pop-ups and Mozilla browser works great. The problem is with Internet Explorer 7. I am unable to connect to the internet. Every time I try to connect it says "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage."

I tried a bunch of suggestions from the Networking forum: launched Dial-a-Fix, ran the Windows diagnostic tool to scan my system, ran CCleaner, ran WinSockXP Fix, also tried uninstalling IE7 and reinstalling. All of this did not work. So now I am back to IE6 unable to connect. I should mention that when I boot in Safe Mode, I can access IE. It does not work in Normal mode.

I have Symantec Antivirus and Windows XP SP2.

I'd appreciate any help. Thank you so much.

Monica

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 04 November 2007 - 01:34 AM

Hello mmartinez,

Have a look at Micro$oft's KB Article Error message when you try to access a Web site in Internet Explorer: "Page Cannot Be Displayed".
Follow the instructions in Section 2: Third-party software or Internet connections settings issues.

If you can connect when the computer is in Safe mode, there is usually a third-party utility or program conflict.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 mmartinez

mmartinez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:54 PM

Hi Tmack,

Thanks for the link. I followed the steps under Section 2 and indeed there is a third party service causing the conflict. I ran msconfig to identify it and the following three services are blocking access to Internet Explorer:

Symantec Antivirus
Symantec Settings Manager
Symantec LIC NetConnect service

I should mention that only when I disable these three at the same time can I access Internet Explorer.

Does this mean I have to uninstall Symantec Antivirus?

Please advise. Thanks so much!!

Monica

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:23 PM

Glad to hear you've found the culprit. :thumbsup:

Because your Antivirus needs to start when the computer starts, there isn't much choice than to remove the offending programs.
There are a few very good Antivirus Applications listed in Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps.
I use AVG Free, but Avast Free is another good option.

To completely uninstall your Symantec product, download and run the Norton Removal Tool.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 mmartinez

mmartinez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:32 PM

Great! I uninstalled Symantec and installed AVG instead. Everything is working great. Thanks so much, you have been a tremendous help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users