Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Keeps Restarting

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 sharbear36

sharbear36

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 09:13 AM

Hi,

New to the group and I hope you can help. My husband has a Dell Laptop Inspiron 5100 and it went kaput. I know my way around a computer and I'm at a loss. It keeps restarting. You get the Dell logo logging in and then the Windoows XP loading with the blue bar at the bottom and then it just keeps doing those 2 steps over and over again. I put the bootable cd that I have to restore windows but it doesn't detect it. I went into the bios and made sure that the cd was set to load first and still...nothing. I'm hoping someone can help me?

Thanks
Shari

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 09:22 AM

How old is this machine out of curiosity?

Could you please turn off the computer, and unplug the AC Adapter and Remove the battery.
Leave the Laptop this way for about a minute, then plug in the AC Adapter only, leave the
battery out. We want to see if the battery is causing some issue. If this works, all the better.
If it fails, you may have some dying hardware in which case you would contact Dell for further
options.

Let us know what you find.

#3 sharbear36

sharbear36
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 09:34 AM

Hi,

I am not sure how old it is, we bought it off craigslist. I did what you told me and it wont power on without the battery but it's plugged in?

Shari

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 11:42 AM

You can find out how old the computer is by the Dell service ID tag on the computer
Dell Support Under drivers and downloads or under FAQ's you can look up the computer specifications.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 sharbear36

sharbear36
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 12:04 PM

Hi,

I put the service tag number in but I didn't really see a year that it was made. I know that it's a Dell Inspiron 5100.

Is there anything that I can do to make this work. It's my husbands laptop and he's an over the road truck driver and he is lost w/out his mapping program and other software he uses.

Thanks so much
Shari

#6 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 12:14 PM

That's an issue with no battery. Is the AC Jack loose?

#7 sharbear36

sharbear36
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 12:59 PM

It didn't appear to be, I came to work for a few hours and am on my way back home so I'll check again when I get there. I know that when I hit the power button all the lights come on in the front but then go off?

Thanks
Shari

#8 sharbear36

sharbear36
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 04:07 PM

Ok, battery out and staying on. However, its doing the same thing...rebooting. I was so wishing that it was going to work.

Shari

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 04:27 PM

Is there only one computer in this household?

Can you not get into Safe Mode?

If it was a desktop, I would remove the battery or short the BIOS jumper on the motherboard. Or I would remove the hard drive and connect it to a known, good, protected system and run chkdsk /r from the XP CD or from My Computer.

I have a laptop but I don't play with it much, too hard to troubleshoot minor issues.

Louis

#10 sharbear36

sharbear36
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 04:44 PM

Hi,

I'm on my laptop and I have a desktop. I can't get into safe mode with my husbands. :thumbsup:

Shari

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:31 PM

Well, I suggest...getting a USB 2.0 enclosure for 2.5 inch-drives, put the hard drive in it (so that you can connect it to another working, protected system) and run chkdsk /r on that drive from My Computer. I would then check Event Viewer, looking for errors specific to the newly attached drive.

Of course, also scan the drive for all malware.

Then, place the drive back in the laptop and try to boot.

I like to eliminate items to consider :thumbsup:.

Louis

#12 sharbear36

sharbear36
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:51 AM

Ok, on one hand this seems like something I can handle but on the other, I'm a bit confused. Can you send me a name of the item that I need to have or a link so that I can see what it looks like and I can see about how much it will cost?

Thanks
Shari

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:58 AM

Sure...
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/ca...CatId=2781&

Any one would do for my usage.

Some think that more money spent means higher quality, I don't necessarily agree. You're not planning on using it often.

Louis

#14 sharbear36

sharbear36
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 12:13 PM

Hi,

Called Best Buy, $50.00 there. I don't know if I'm going to order one online or not. That's pretty much my last hope?

Shari

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 02:22 PM

Best Buy? I don't even think about purchasing anything there.

Last hope? No, I didn't say that. I believe I said it was easy (and probably intelligent), since you have other computers which can be used to connect USB drives.

If my laptop had issues, that's what I would do (I have 2 desktops and 1 laptop).

As for buying online...I've been doing since I decided I wanted a computer in 1996. It's cheaper, greater selection...and I don't have to put up with local jacked-up prices from idiotic salesmen (none of these people seem to really have a clue about computers, they just sell parts, etc.).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 November 2007 - 02:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users