Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do You Need To Register Laptop To Get Warranty Coverage?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jfd15

jfd15

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 04:14 AM

hi,
just wondering, i bought a toshiba laptop from bestbuy back in may...now seems my dual core cpu testing at about 50% so im

guessing one core is damaged?? question is, i never registered or sent in my name to toshiba, do i bother to see if i have

warranty coverage? its supposed to be 1 year parts+labor....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:23 AM

It seems to me that registration is the only way that a vendor has...to determine what is covered by warranty and what is not, date the warranty period started, etc.

They certainly don't keep sales/purchase records of every item that leaves inventory from their manufacturing installations.

Louis

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 09:35 AM

Some equipment goes by the serial/unit number on the unit. That number tells the manufacture when it was made and how the unit was originally configured. They may only require proof of purchase, some don't even require that. Try an authorized repair shop they should be able to tell you. Dell computers do that with the service ID number.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 jfd15

jfd15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 02:34 PM

thanks, i put the serial# + part# into some form on their website and they seem to know the day it was purchased and the day the warranty is supposed to

end...will contact a local toshiba auth. repair shop per the suggestion...cross my fingers....

thanks for the replies... (never took the time to register it, i will after this though)

#5 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 02:36 PM

what did you use to test and verify that your processor is defective?

#6 jfd15

jfd15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 05:35 PM

what did you use to test and verify that your processor is defective?

thanks, good question...im kind of noob on this...i tried PC Pitstop(dont know how reputable) and my laptop(6 months old) usually comes in low percentiles for
its class...they flag the CPU, memory, and the graphics proc. as all being very slow for their class in laptops...i tried HotCPUTester
trial version and let it run for 6 hours overnight and it didnt really find anything but it wasnt benchmking...Everest had like 6 quick
CPU benchmks and about 3 were ok for class and 2-3 others the result was about 50% lower than where it should have been...Everest
on GPU tests it was terrible on the 2-3 tests there...and the RAM tests(2 GB) on various programs sometimes does ok, sometimes
looks to be 50% of normal...i tried sysoft sandra but it doesnt run too well on my pc....i saw a review of the exact same laptop that
i have, and the guy posted results for a Pi Benchmaking utility for this comp. vs others and mine took almost exactly twice as long
as it should have...i have just recently re-installed the factory image so theres not a lot of junk on there...just doesnt seem to
run as fast as it used to...i used to be able to multitask a little on this thing....is there a better program to use to check hardware
health on this thing??

seems like my warranty might be good, should i bring it into an authorized center and let them check it for me- would they do that?

am just wondering what to do from here

#7 oldloder

oldloder

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 09:33 PM

A few weeks ago I called Hp for my laptop issue and they informed me that the extended warranty I purchased was not registered - the lappy is a year and a half old and the extended warranty I got was for three years. When they told me I was just about to drop a brick but they asked me if I wanted to register it now and I said "hell yeah!

So they did.
Different manufacturers may have different policies, but I'd give Toshiba a ring!

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:48 AM

Good point oldloder The SN/Part numbers are stamped at the time of manufacture so they can determine when the system was made, but not if you have purchased the extended warranty. Its always best to register your product, I however always seem to forget though.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 oldloder

oldloder

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:41 PM

:thumbsup:

#10 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:51 PM

If you don't register the product the companies normally backdate to the day the computer ships from the factory. Depending on how long the computer is in transit and how long it sits in the store, I have seen almost a year elapse before the computer was purchased. One customer at my work actually lost 8 months of manufacturers warranty, because he could not find the receipt, and circuit city where he said that he purchased the laptop could not find the record of purchase.

Edited by oldf@rt, 04 November 2007 - 07:53 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#11 jfd15

jfd15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:27 AM

thanks for the replies, - will try to register it then....didnt really want to in case they track you or something but id rather get this thing fixed if possible

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users