Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buffer Overflow Blocked And Unstable System

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 middy55

middy55

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:51 PM

Ever since I installed a new internal LG DVD player/recorder/rewriter (GSA-H55L) and transferred a few movies from a DVD disk to my desktop in AVI format to play on a movie player like powerDVD, etc I keep getting McAfee messages that say "Blocked Buffer Overflow" at random times. At the same time my entire system is now extremely unstable with frequent crashes ... just a few examples of such system problems: explorer.exe not responding, recycle bin not responding, external USB hard drive disappearing (reappearing after unplugging and re-plugging the USB cable), and a host of other system crashes and issues which were NEVER a problem in the 4+ years I've had the computer and running XP. All this coincides temporally exactly with the DVD, movies, McAfee warnings, etc as mentioned above.

I read that this buffer overflow is a security issue and can be a symptom of an infection, but this is not the case here ... this all has to be somehow connected to my DVD player, AVI movies on the desktop, etc ??? (I have run McAfee's scan twice with nothing found). I have de-fragmented my c-drive, I have checked for disk errors and a few other diagnostics all with negative results.

What is the issue here? and is it a problem? and if so how do I fix it? And does any of this correlate with my newly unstable system?

[I am running Windows XP-home w/ SP2 on a Dell Dimension 8300]

Thank you very much for any help or advice or insight anyone may offer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:49 PM

Hi middy55! Welcome to BC! :flowers:

I highly doubt that the DVD drive is the culprit behind the McAfee messages, but it's possible that it may be behind the general sluggishness.

I'd recommend getting a second opinion as to whether you system is clean. A buffer overflow is a serious thing. You can get a free online system scan from these places:Also, you can try to update the drive's firmware. Go to http://us.lgservice.com/gcsc/dwn/main and click on the Device Driver Link. Then, in the search form, set the Product as DVD-ROM the Operating System to All and the Model number to you drive's model number as the "subject" (I would provide a direct link to the download page, but their website is very poorly designed and I couldn't derive the true URL :thumbsup: ). You probably want the GSA-H55L_102.zip file.

Something else you can do is to check your Event Log. The next time a Buffer Overflow message comes up, click on Start then Run... type eventvwr.msc then press enter. This will launch the event viewer. Check each category for Red errors and yellow warnings. Don't be shocked to see a lot. Look for errors or warnings that occur just before during, or just after the buffer overflow. If anything jumps out, post it here.

And finally, to truely determine if the DVD drive is the culprit or an accessory to the culprit, disconnect it for a while and judge whether your system speeds up/McAfee complains. If everything is hunky dorey, then it's the drive and you may need to return it. If not, the problem lies elsewhere. In either event, we're here to help you through it all! :trumpet:

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 02 November 2007 - 11:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users