Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Update, Msnupdate.exe

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GoldenRabbit2011

GoldenRabbit2011

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:49 PM

I've a new laptop with Vista Home Premium. In the past day or two I've seen the Windows popup that says
msnupdate.exe from an Unknown Publisher is trying to access my computer.

Since I'm cautious, I've denied it access. When I Google many websites, including a past post on this one, some state there's a malicious program with that name. However, when I phoned Verizon, the rep inquired with someone who supposedly knew and reported back that it's okay. Her English was a bit difficult to understand, so I asked her several times LOL . She said it was safe, that I could then "upgrade" MSN Explorer. I hope she understands the distinction between "update" and "upgrade" but I digress....

Why would it say Unknown Publisher then? Is it because MSN provides this content/update through Verizon and other ISPs?

Ya know, I'm still a bit hesitant. I can't imagine there's anything on MSN Explorer that I absolutely have to have, especially since the settings tell me I'm up to date and don't need to do anything.

Since I'm a Vista newbie (my understanding is that these types of updates ran in the background of XP so the casual user wasn't aware of them), how would you advise me to proceed? Take Verizon's word for it or pass it by? Logic tells me it's okay. My intuition is acting up!

Thanks, all, and have a great weekend.

GoldenRabbit

Edited by GoldenRabbit2011, 02 November 2007 - 07:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:43 PM

Hello GoldenRabbit2011, You are probably infected by a worm called
W32/Rbot-AAM ... and Search Results for msnupdate.exe

This is a backdoor variety,as such your Pc security IS compromised. All things as passwords,credit card numbers, account numbers may have already been sent HOME and should be changed.

I'm going to recommend you Download,install then update SUPERAntiSpyware. reboot into safe Mode and scan PC. Delete/Quarantine any thing found.
Next you need to be certain the PC is clean of any piece of this malware so follow these instructions To post a HiJackThis log Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log . Post that log HERE and not in this post.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 GoldenRabbit2011

GoldenRabbit2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 12:29 PM

Thanks for your help. I called back Verizon, got an English-speaking person who specializes in MSN, who worked with me....assured me it was a legit update.

To be sure, after the fact, I ran anti-virus and spyware scans. Nothing detected or quarantined. I shall change the passwords to be safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users