Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Script Error In Services .msc

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 oldaussie

oldaussie

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:36 PM

[attachment=2552:ScreenHu...03_09.30.gif]

Every time I attempt to open or use RUN /Services.MSC I get a IE script error as my att (hope it worked).

I cannot just say "Yes" or "No to the "do you want to continue running scripts on this page .. It wont close normally .I have to use Cl/Alt /Del/ task manager to shut down the window...

Hope someone is familiar with this prob.. Thanks Guys/ Gals Inadvance .

Re Old Aussie :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:17 PM

Will it work if you go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools and open Services from there? What about other Run commands like devmgmt.msc, do they work?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 oldaussie

oldaussie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:20 PM

Hi garmarna..

Yes I can open the Device manager etc from run cmd..

I went to admin tools and when I attempted to open sevices I come up with the same error as before ..

I tried a sfc /scannow . and run my XP disc when asked but it is still not working .

I tried to Uninstall Internet Explorer as I thought the prob lays with that But It wouldnt allow me to complete the Uninstall. It come up with masg ,, Something about looking for files in such and such , (cant remember the exact words).

Got me .. :thumbsup: >> Thanks.Old Aussie

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 02:00 PM

I don't think it has anything to do with I.E. That's why I didn't mention the I.E.fix When you're in Event Viewer does anything shoe in Services or Application?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 oldaussie

oldaussie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:59 PM

Back again , Opened up EVENT Viewer.. SEVICES only go back to september . no more errors etc.

'Applcations go back to July , no later event errors etc..

'Security, Has nil entries .

"Internet explorer also has Nil entries ...

Re Old Aussie

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:22 AM

Just for the heck of it,
Use the Default Values for the Security Settings in Internet Explorer
To configure the security settings in Internet Explorer to use the default values:
1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
2. Double-click Internet Options.
3. Click the Security tab.
4. Under Select a Web content zone to specify its security settings, click Internet.
5. Click Default Level.
6. Click Apply.
7. Repeat steps 4 through 6 for each Web content zone.
8. Click OK.

In the meantime I'll try to get some others to look at your problem
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#7 oldaussie

oldaussie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 06:58 PM

I checked the default levels as you said And they are all currently set to Default .

I,ll wait for your search .. Thanks Old Aus.. :thumbsup:

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:32 PM

Did you get the PM I sent you?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:47 PM

To be honest with you, after consulting a few others here, I would go ahead and reinstall XP. I'd also make it a fresh install not a repair. I know this might mean loosing a few things but you would start with a clean bill of health. Do you have a Windows CD or an OEM disk?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#10 oldaussie

oldaussie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:07 PM

:thumbsup: Yes it looks as tho that may be the only answer to those probs,, Thats what was recommended for my Sys Restore prob...

I hava XP disc,, It is the earlier XP version ..."Question" I have a new laptop with the last XP on it , when I purchased it ,It didnt come with a disc But I had to "Burn a disc from the laptop for future use..Is that a OEM disc as I am not familiar with "OEM" etc.

I was wondering if I could run my NEwer laptop disc to run on the Problem Puter....If you follow me

Also why not do a Repair .??? as I have oodles of programs on the hardrive and it will probly take mths to replace them all..Plus extra grey hairs..

Thanks again for your time .. Re Old Aussie :flowers:

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:15 PM

Go ahead and try a repair install first. You might have problems with Windows Updates afterwards. If you do let us know. It's a known problem and there's a fix for it. To use another disk it would have to be the same, i.e. Home or Pro. Also your laptop is a burned image with the drivers specific to it and would cause conflicts with you other machine
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#12 oldaussie

oldaussie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:25 PM

Well I repaired my XP and Bingo all the 3 problems fixed ..

It was a piece of pee. If I had of known it was that simple a task I wouldnt have wasted everyones time with these Probs .I,ll know next time

Didnt lose any data what so ever , Just have a Problem with My Updates as you Pointed out I would ..

Could you be so good as to assist me with the updates Thanks heaps .. Re Old Aussie :thumbsup:

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:39 PM

Here's an article on the problem:
http://windowssecrets.com
And here's what you have to do:

"Open Notepad and copy and paste the following command lines into the Notepad window:

regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll
regsvr32 /s wups2.dll
regsvr32 /s wups.dll
regsvr32 /s wuweb.dll

Save the file to your desktop using a .bat extension, then double-click the icon of the .bat file. A command window will open, run the commands, and then close."
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#14 oldaussie

oldaussie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:09 PM

i merged the Bat file OK as Instructed .
Downloaded Installer Update .But On reboot it showed it wasnt Installed .I have tried 3 times and each attmpt is the same result...

Went to website also and followed all Instructo.S// , Still no will Install

Old Aussie

#15 Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 02:20 AM

Is the script error resolved?

Edited by Rollin' Rog, 07 November 2007 - 02:26 AM.

Microsoft MVP Shell/User

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users