Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggestion: Suggested Reading List

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 02 November 2007 - 03:25 PM

How abot a list of books, websites, etc. that explain or teach people certain tech-type things? I know that in the course of my continuing self learning I have come accross many excellent (and not-so-excellent) references both online and in the library.

I think that such a resource would help BC attract more aspiring technophiles and encourage the general enlightenment of the non-technophile populace of the world.

So, what do y'all think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DocSatan

DocSatan

Bleepin' Wanna-Be

• Members
  • 2,156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 02 November 2007 - 03:47 PM

I think that that is a great idea!

(Doc waits to gain additional knowledge) :thumbsup:

#3 BetsyFeller

BetsyFeller

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:30 AM

I am reading Trace Adkins new book: A personal stand....and it's quite good, I believe everyone would like it! I am an avid reader so I will probably be in here a lot and I also think this is a great thread! :thumbsup:
Thank you,
Betty A. Feller

#4 DocSatan

DocSatan

Bleepin' Wanna-Be

• Members
  • 2,156 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:29 PM

Hey BetsyFeller!

I'm not sure, but I think Amazing Andrew was referring to computer type books, programming, etc.

HOWEVER, you're the first one I've seen round these parts, so...I'm reading "Shadow Divers" by Robert Kurson.

It's about these 2 deep sea wreck divers from New Jersey, USA who find a sunken German U-Boat (submarine) right off the coast of New Jersey...back in like 1991. Pretty cool read. Half-way through it.

I haven't been much of a reader until lately. I joined a Book Club 3 months ago, so I'm in the reading loop now! heheh.

Never heard of the book/Author that your reading. What's the topic?

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:29 AM

I would be interested in Member's comments about whether such a list would be useful to them, especially if each entry had a brief review (50-150 words), and was categorised by Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:52 AM

I would like to see such a list,and like the idea of 3 categories 'jgweed' :thumbsup:

#7 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:53 AM

Very good idea but.... you would only want a list of quality books, - articles, - sites etc. Who will look after that. How can that be organised?

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 11:44 AM

I am sure that the BC Staff, if it is determined that there is a need for this kind of reference,and that it is not duplicated elsewhere, can come up with a process to allow submission, review, and organization of topics. What must be considered is the amount of time and space required against the need for this kind of information.
John

Edited by jgweed, 21 November 2007 - 12:14 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 BetsyFeller

BetsyFeller

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 03:44 AM

Hey BetsyFeller!

I'm not sure, but I think Amazing Andrew was referring to computer type books, programming, etc.

HOWEVER, you're the first one I've seen round these parts, so...I'm reading "Shadow Divers" by Robert Kurson.

It's about these 2 deep sea wreck divers from New Jersey, USA who find a sunken German U-Boat (submarine) right off the coast of New Jersey...back in like 1991. Pretty cool read. Half-way through it.

I haven't been much of a reader until lately. I joined a Book Club 3 months ago, so I'm in the reading loop now! heheh.

Never heard of the book/Author that your reading. What's the topic?

Forgive me, I read the title and didn't read further! *blushes* Anyhow, that is still a great thread idea. :thumbsup:
Thank you,
Betty A. Feller

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,716 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:40 PM

I like the idea too. Perhaps it could be added to the Resources section and categorized by topic like the Free Applications thread as well as by degree of difficulty. It would be a time-saver for those seeking good reliable information.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users