Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Greetings To All.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bender2625

bender2625

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 02 November 2007 - 02:13 PM

Well, I did it. I have always heard that no good deed goes unpunished, and now I guess I learned it first hand.
Here I was assisting one of my friends with transfering files from his 40GB HDD to a mice little 500GB. (he ws in dire need of a system upgrade and asked for my assistance) Checking out various little files, opening this, deleting that and so on. Suddenly, one little innocuous file crossed my screen and I opened it. A CODEC pac if I am not mistaken, and then, I noticed that when browsing the internet, my favorites window would close it's self when I selected something from it. Then there was a popup bar at the top of the browser, stating: Warning: possible spyware or adware infection! Click here to scan your computer for spyware and adware...
Then a day or two later came the redirects to adservtoo.com and directnameservice.com. Now, I saw that and ran spybot and had Smitfraud pop up... Whee!
After several removals, alternate attempts and software removal methods, I find it has built a cosy little nest in my HDD!
But Hey, What are friends for if not to chalange us?
But alas, I am at my wits end...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Iodine

Iodine

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 02 November 2007 - 03:07 PM

Hello bender2625 and welcome to BleepingComputer!! :flowers: I'm sure you're going to like it here. There's someone to answer just about any question you have about your computer and we're a pretty good bunch to get along with too. :thumbsup:
Since you're new here you may want to take a look at the New User Orientation section. It's a big help and will teach you what you need to know about getting your questions answered and how to get around the boards. There's another section that's very helpfull also so you may want to give it a try, it's the Tutorials section.

Again, welcome aboard and enjoy!!
Iodine
Tell me and I forget ;Show me and I may remember;involve me and I"ll understand.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 01:28 PM

Hello, bender2625.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

I see you've posted a log to the, HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum.
They should be able to help you out.
Good luck.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users