Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MythicalArcher

MythicalArcher

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 02 November 2007 - 01:41 PM

Ok so from my previous topics I determined that my hard drive has died so I have a replacement for it to install my OS and hopefully recover data from the other one. Now the problem is my old one was a SATA drive, this replacement I had ordered, meant to be a secondary but never installed and now must use it as a primary. I even ordered a new rounded IDE cable (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812105011) just for this. Now my problem is the BIOS is not recognizing the drives. I have the cable plugged in the mobo, the end plugged into the ATA HD and the middle connection in my DVD drive. I've tried all three jumper settings on the HD but the BIOS still won't recognize the fact that the drive is physically there. Also the DVD drive isn't detected so I can't even boot from that to start the Windows XP setup CD.

Can anyone help me out here?

Edit: The reason for switching from SATA to ATA was a mistake in what I had bought, and just trying to make the best of it since I'm unable to return and don't want to wait for more money and shipping times.

Edited by MythicalArcher, 02 November 2007 - 01:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 02 November 2007 - 02:14 PM

The boot options in your BIOS...and the drive recognition section...must be accurate and reflect the drives you currently have attached/installed. Some systems do this automatically, on some users must manually trigger autodetection in the BIOS and it will then recognize the drives.

Go into the main page of the BIOS and look at the data there. If it is accurate, leave it alone. If not, then the BIOS screen for that page should provided details on what you have to do to redetect drives. In mine, I hit the F3 key (I think) and it does the autodetect. After the BIOS properly detects, leave that screen properly, and hit F10 to save the changes you have made. If you don't save them, you'll just go through the same drill again.

I myself would not put the boot drive on the same IDE cable that the optical drive is on, since I've never had a shortage of cables or IDE hard drive connectors.

You've been playing with jumpers...leave the jumpers for both drives set at the C/S position. You can use master/slave but C/S is the default setting from the factories, now that we no longer use the old 40-pin, 40-wire IDE cables.

If you want to boot from the optical drive, make sure that it is the 1st boot option. On some old BIOSes, I have had to make it the first, second, and third before the system would react properly and boot from the CD. It really doesn't matter which course you elect, since you will change your boot options again once XP is installed.

Post back and let us know...

Louis

#3 MythicalArcher

MythicalArcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2007 - 03:18 PM

Commenting before I go try, I have only one IDE slot on my mobo, there's another one next to it but it seems to be smaller than normal and is missing 2 pins on the left-ish side, so I can't have 2, otherwise I probably would have done that.

#4 MythicalArcher

MythicalArcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2007 - 03:37 PM

Ok, so I don't know what I did, but, I did get the BIOS to recognize the HD. Now it's just not recognizing the optical drive so I can boot from the windows XP setup disc. The cable is firmly connected and the power cord is in. And it's set to the C/S setting with the jumper, I'm not sure what else to do.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2007 - 03:49 PM

I cannot explain it any simpler than I have...maybe I'm not understanding you.

The one IDE slot is not a problem, the system will work fine with both drives on the same IDE cable. The hard drive must be attached to the end, while the optical drive is attached near the middle.

Louis

#6 MythicalArcher

MythicalArcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:17 PM

That's the way I have it set up, and I turn all the drives on in the BIOS and it only recognizes the HD, I turn on the drive where the optical drive is and it says the ID is unknown. Basically it's not recognizing that the optical drive is even there, just the hard drive. I've went through every page of my BIOS and it says nothing about autodetecting or redetecting devices. I'm not sure which BIOS it is..I know it's the BIOS included with a Dell Dimension 4700

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2007 - 05:48 PM

I think you need this: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...m/Y69490LRs.pdf

Download and keep it in a safe place, as long as you have that system.

Louis

#8 MythicalArcher

MythicalArcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2007 - 06:04 PM

Looked over it and it doesn't talk about ATA Drives...It's assuming the replacement hard drive is a SATA

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:58 PM

If it doesn't operate with both drives definitely jumpered for C/S, then possibly your optical drive is one that doesn't interact correctly with a hard drive in C/S mode. Try jumpering the optical drive as slave and the HD as master. Remember some hard drives have 2 different master settings, Single Drive, and Master with Slave. If you set Single Drive on this type of drive, the slave device won't be detected.

If that still won't work, temporarily try another IDE cable in case the new one is faulty...

Then a further possibility is that the occasional optical drive (usually DVD burner) wants to be a Master device. You could check this by setting the optical drive Master & the HD slave, & seeing if the optical is then recognised and will allow you to boot from the Windows install CD. If this corrects it, you'd then need to decide whether to try using the system this way. It would be unconventional and I'm not certain if it would cause problems, but with a modern BIOS and XP it may be successful. If this is the cause of your problem & you don't want to try running the HDD as a slave, then you could get an IDE controller card if you have a spare PCI slot, or find a different optical drive that is happy to be slaved to a hard drive.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#10 MythicalArcher

MythicalArcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:01 AM

Yes it's a DVD Burner, so I'm guessing it wants to be the master..I will try reversing to see if it works.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:55 AM

Ummm...I don't think XP will boot if an optical drive is placed in the master position and XP is on a drive placed in the secondary position on the same IDE cable....but I make mistakes :thumbsup:.

Louis

#12 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 01:51 PM

in the BIOS, is the ide enabled and set to auto?

System manufacturer and Exact Model(if name Brand):
Service Tage (if Dell):
Motherboard Manufacturer with BIOS Revision and Model:

Edited by Robert Isbell, 03 November 2007 - 01:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users