Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Can't Restart My Computer In Safe Mode.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mastiffs_mom

mastiffs_mom

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:20 PM

I keep getting pop-up balloons in the right bottom corner of my screen telling me I'm infected with one of the following: Trojan-Spy_win32@mx, NetWorm-i.Virus@fp, PSW.x-Vir Trojan, W32Myzor.FK@yf, or Spyware.cyberlog-x. I also get continuous pop-ups from Security Center or Protection Center telling me I have to buy the advertised product in order to get rid of the threat. I found a thread on this site that explains how to resolve the problem but I can't restart my computer in Safe Mode. I press F8 and select Safe Mode then I get a blue screen that comes up very briefly, so briefly that I haven't been able to read the entire message. The part I have read tells me an error occurred "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and tells me to restart in Safe Mode by pressing F8, etc. Then the computer will shut down and restart itself in normal mode. I have tried to get it to start in Safe Mode several times to no avail. I have downloaded AVG 7.5 and SmitFraud Fix but when I try to download Ad-Aware or Spy-Bot Search and Destroy, I get an error message telling me that Internet Explorer needs to shut down and then any windows I have open shut down. I am becoming EXTREMELY frustrated. Even typing this post took longer than it should have due to all the pop-ups. Please save my computer from being smashed to bits. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 02 November 2007 - 01:02 PM

If your using Win XP or 2000, please print out and follow the generic instructions for using SmitfraudFix in BC's self-help tutorial "How to remove the Smitfraud/Generic Zlob".
(scroll down to where it says Removal Instructions; ignore the part that shows symptoms in a HijackThis log as they will not apply your case.)
If you have downloaded SmitfraudFix previously, please delete that version and download it again as the tool is frequently updated!

Next, download RogueRemover and save to you Desktop. (compatible with Windows 2000, NT, XP, Vista)
  • Double-click on rr-free-setup.exe to install in C:\Program Files\RogueRemover and follow the prompts.
  • During installation an icon will automatically be created on your Desktop.
  • If the program does not open after installation, double-click on the RogueRemover icon to launch.
  • Select "Check for Updates" and click Download if any are found.
  • Wait for the updates to finish downloading, then Close the update window.
  • Select "Scan" and follow the onscreen directions to remove anything found.
  • If nothing is found, exit RogueRemover.
  • If RogueRemover finds something, it will present a list of detected items.
  • Click "Remove selected", then Yes at the prompt.
  • Wait for the removal to complete and then close RogueRemover.
If using Windows Vista be sure to Run As Administrator.

Then download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free in "Safe Mode".

If you cannot get your Internet working, you are going to need access to another computer (family member, friend, etc) with an Internet connection. Then download the programs I recommended and save to a USB stick or CD.

While your at it, also download HijackThis Installer. This is HijackThis 2.0.2 but it is an automatic setup version which will install HJT in the proper location if we need to use it. DO NOT fix anything with HijackThis unless advised.

Then you can transfer these programs directly to the infected computer where you can use them.

If you cannot get the scans to work in safe mode, then run them in normal mode.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users