If your using Win XP or 2000, please print out and follow the generic instructions for using SmitfraudFix
in BC's self-help tutorial
"How to remove the Smitfraud/Generic Zlob
(scroll down to where it says Removal Instructions; ignore the part that shows symptoms in a HijackThis log as they will not apply your case.
)If you have downloaded SmitfraudFix previously, please delete that version and download it again as the tool is frequently updated!
Next, download RogueRemover
and save to you Desktop. (compatible with Windows 2000, NT, XP, Vista)
If using Windows Vista be sure to Run As Administrator
- Double-click on rr-free-setup.exe to install in C:\Program Files\RogueRemover and follow the prompts.
- During installation an icon will automatically be created on your Desktop.
- If the program does not open after installation, double-click on the RogueRemover icon to launch.
- Select "Check for Updates" and click Download if any are found.
- Wait for the updates to finish downloading, then Close the update window.
- Select "Scan" and follow the onscreen directions to remove anything found.
- If nothing is found, exit RogueRemover.
- If RogueRemover finds something, it will present a list of detected items.
- Click "Remove selected", then Yes at the prompt.
- Wait for the removal to complete and then close RogueRemover.
Then download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
in "Safe Mode
If you cannot get your Internet working, you are going to need access to another computer (family member, friend, etc) with an Internet connection. Then download the programs I recommended and save to a USB stick or CD.
While your at it, also download HijackThis Installer
. This is HijackThis 2.0.2 but it is an automatic setup version which will install HJT in the proper location if we need to use it. DO NOT fix anything with HijackThis unless advised.
Then you can transfer these programs directly to the infected computer where you can use them.
If you cannot get the scans to work in safe mode, then run them in normal mode.