Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloning Hard Drives Using A Usb Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xdmitrix

xdmitrix

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:25 AM

Hello - I work in a small-medium business where one of our daily tasks is installing windows xp onto new laptops/desktops. We typically get about 3 computers of the same model at a time, then hand them out after they've been installed with our license of windows xp. We work on a small scale and we only order a few of each type of model. We'll order maybe 2-3 of model X laptop, then order another 2-3 of model Y desktop. I was thinking a convenient way to get them up and running quickly would be to:

1. install windows xp, with correct config onto 1st computer.
2. copy hard drive image to a usb external drive.
3. copy image to hard drives of computers of same model

Many of the hard drive cloning utilities I've used only support IDE/SATA hard drives. We do a lot of laptops, so USB would be ideal. Doing it via network would take more time to develop, so USB it is.

Any suggestions for good cloning programs that support USB?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kevin_D

Kevin_D

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:34 AM

My recommendation is True Image. Iíve been using it since version 8 release and it havenít failed me yet. You will use the same laptops so the home version will do the job however Acronis True Image Workstation with Universal restore plugin can image on the machines with different hardware.

#3 xdmitrix

xdmitrix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 02 November 2007 - 03:03 PM

Is there anything you can recommend in the free and/or opensource aisles?

#4 Kevin_D

Kevin_D

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 08:12 AM

Frankly speaking I don't know any other options of clonning to different hardware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users