Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

link to dead end

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 troublewalking

troublewalking

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 16 February 2005 - 02:00 PM

HI, I have xpsp2, all updates, McAfee, numerous scans, all clean. problem = when I click a link such as in a post on this site or even in an email I can go to that link, it opens in a new window, original window closes. The only way to go back is to close window, reopen browser, back to original site, or click fav, if it was a site in my faves. any ideas? thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 16 February 2005 - 02:34 PM

In IE go to Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab and put a check mark in Re-use window for launching shortcut. While your in there make sure both instances of install on demand are unchecked for seurity reasons.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 troublewalking

troublewalking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2005 - 05:00 PM

Thanks Leurgy, I suspected the same, my settings are correct, "reuse windows" disable "install on demand" same results. I'm advised at Langa's to reinstall IE, (regsvr32 actprxy.dll) over my head, any tips?

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2005 - 06:33 PM

I'm advised at Langa's to reinstall IE, (regsvr32 actprxy.dll) over my head, any tips?

Can you post a link to that.

Another solution would be to reinstall IE by downloading the full program and running it. Its 24 MB so its not dialup friendly. If you have a CD from an ISP its usually on those so you could run it from there.

How to download the complete package of Internet Explorer

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 troublewalking

troublewalking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2005 - 04:24 PM

Sure, link is HERE Let me know what you think. THANKS :thumbsup:

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2005 - 05:17 PM

That tip at Langa's just allows you to reregister two .dll files that are used by IE. No big deal to do that. Might even work. But like he says the easiest fix is to reinstall.

#7 troublewalking

troublewalking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2005 - 11:35 AM

Thanks,Leurgy, guess I'll go ahead with reinstall... just to be sure.Thanks for your time and help. I'm in and out of this site all the time so if I can help anyone just let me know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users