Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fix Windows Time Service

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:40 PM

For quite some time, my XP box has been unable to synchronise it's clock with the default Windows Time Servers ntp://time.windows.com and ntp://time.nist.gov.

For those of you unaware, Windows NT 4 (that Windows 2000) and higher (XP, Vista) are set to automatically synchronize the internal clock with either of these two time servers using the Network Time Protocol. Very handy, that.

After extensive Googling and 3 cigarettes, I came to believe that I was not the only one affected by this. Many users are, though not many seem to realize it. The Windows Time Service isn't high on many people's tech priorities list.

What has solved the problem for me, and for most -- but not all -- the computers I've done this on is the following:

Note: This Procedure Involves Editing The Windows Registry. You NEED to back up the registry before proceeding; it's just common sense. Learn How To Back Up The Registry Here.

Step 1. Open the Windows Command Line (click Start then Run, type cmd and press enter)

Step 2. Stop the Windows Time Service. Type:
net stop w32time
at the command line, then press enter

Step 3. Add tick.usno.navy.mil and tock.usno.navy.mil as primary and secondary time servers, retain time.windows.com and time-b.nist.gov as third and fourth servers (press enter after each line):
reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DateTime\Servers /v 0 /t REG_SZ /d tock.usno.navy.mil
reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DateTime\Servers /v 1 /t REG_SZ /d tick.usno.navy.mil
reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DateTime\Servers /v 2 /t REG_SZ /d time.windows.com
reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DateTime\Servers /v 3 /t REG_SZ /d time-b.nist.gov

Step 4. Restart Windows Time Service
net start w32time

Step 5. Verify by issuing the resync command:
w32tm /resync

That should do it. Even if the resync command fails, you've double the number of servers from which Windows can update thereby doubling you chance of success.

I tried this with other NTP servers, but the US Navy's were the only ones that worked consistently.

If you'd rather not do all that typing, simply copy & paste all the commands into notepad, one command per line, and save it to your desktop as time.bat. Then, double-click time.bat to execute the commands.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:07 PM

Or there is always this option if registry edits make you shudder. Time Synchronization - and Why One Geek Found It Important

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:15 PM

Or there is always this option if registry edits make you shudder. Time Synchronization - and Why One Geek Found It Important

Yeah, you could do it that way if your one of those people who has do do everything the easy and efficient way. Nice one Animal!

#4 Sc00by22

Sc00by22

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 10 November 2007 - 07:50 AM

#5 LibTech

LibTech

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:47 PM

Does anyone know of a way to manually set Windows Time Service to update at a certain time, say, 4 AM? I've googled & can't find anything.

Thanks for any help,

The LibTech

#6 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:17 PM

LibTech

Hi LibTech,

The link Animal posted above eventually leads to Thinking Man Software - Dimension 4 v5.0, which says that the free Dimension 4 utility "Attempts synchronization on a schedule you specify."

This reply is a little late, but maybe you still haven't found another solution.

Edited by Dialer, 30 December 2007 - 09:45 PM.

#7 Klies

Klies

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:57 PM

regsvr32 w32time.dll will fix the problem :-D (for me)

Edited by Klies, 08 January 2008 - 04:59 PM.

#8 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:08 PM

Thanks, Klies, but I haven't a clue what to do with "regsvr32 w32time.dll." Is this a command to put in the run box, or....?

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:17 PM

Is this a command to put in the run box, or....?

Exactly, the Run box is correct.

#10 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:25 PM

Thanks, Andrew. I guess I did have a clue after all. :thumbsup:

#11 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:30 PM

Alas:

Posted Image

~Edited to change URL~

Edited by TMacK, 12 January 2008 - 01:00 AM.

#12 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:47 PM

Alas? Alas what? Poor Yorick? Did you know him well?

#13 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:03 PM

I did, and I have his skull on my desk even as I type.

Uh, you don't see the error message image I posted above? If not, it says:

The module "w32time.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070005.

For more information about this problem, search online using the error code as a search term.

Or are you referring to the fact that I expected you to read my mind and failed to explain how I happened to get that error. It was the result of running regsvr32 w32time.dll in the run box. I also neglected to mention that I searched the net for the error code but found nothing related to time. Sorry. :thumbsup:

Methinks it's time for me to get off the computer for a while.

#14 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:43 PM

Ah! It seems my Ad Blocker doesn't like the image... I see it now.

#15 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:15 PM

Amazing Andrew ~

presenting your gold cookie! Works great; ty.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users