Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program Automatically Starts When I Turn On Computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Adrine

Adrine

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:31 PM

I have a laptop running Windows XP. When I first turn on the computer my X-Cleaner program automatically starts loading and running. This is a nuisance to me as I would rather run it when I am ready to turn off my computer. I have read that if I go to the start up folder that is the place to remove programs that run automatically at start up. The problem is the program is not there. I also read that I need to go to the registry if I don't find it in start up. I don't know how to go to the registry and then how to do whatever I need to in order to change this from occurring. If anyone knows how, can you please let me know?

Thank you,

Adrine

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Khann

Khann

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:14 PM

Go to Start > Run > type "msconfig". Go to the "Startup" tab, and see if the program is there. If it is, uncheck it and apply!

#3 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:15 PM

try finding the program in services

start/run/services.msc/click ok
right click on the service and choose stop or manual

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:25 PM

Safest way to disable programs in startup is a 3rd party application
http://codestuff.tripod.com
Microsoft Autoruns
Why you don't use msconfig to disable programs
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2007 - 09:48 PM

Safest way to disable programs in startup is a 3rd party application
http://codestuff.tripod.com
Microsoft Autoruns
Why you don't use msconfig to disable programs
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm
Mark

Autoruns and Process explorer, by SysInternals, are excellent tools to keep your system in line. Use process Explorer instead of Task Manager, which is mostly useless. It gives you the option to hijack Task Manager.

If you see a process that you're curious about, click on it and select google, and it will give you a page of explanations of that particular file. You can see exactly how much memory, CPU %, IO reads and writes, and much more for each process.

With Autoruns, you can decide what processes are unnecessary. Some need not be using resources, like Adobe Speedloader, for instance. Some programs just think way too highly of themselves and need to be showed who's boss. And things like digital media, such as your camera program, love to rudely crash the party.

This is my first post. Hope I didn't say anything stupid. :thumbsup:

#6 Adrine

Adrine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2007 - 10:23 PM

I tried what Khann said and when I restarted the computer my X-Cleaner did not run. I think it is resolved now. Thank you to everyone who responded! If it comes back, I'll be back. :thumbsup:

#7 yr-less

yr-less

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:59 AM

Been using msconfig since 98. I have never had a problem with it.
Anytime I install software that starts automatically, I use msconfig to turn it off. :thumbsup:

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:05 AM

You can try disabling it from startup...by running msconfig Start/Run, type msconfig, click on Startup tab.

A better solution is to use a utility like AutoRuns for Windows v8.73 - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/AutoRuns.mspx

Msconfig is designed to be a troubleshooting tool, with the ability to temporarily disable various items as one seeks to correct a problem.

Autoruns is, IMO, a better alternative and it will reflect all startup items. In the past, msconfig did not reflect all items in the registry which run at startup.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users