Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2nd Time Build, 1st Time Advice

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 voros

voros

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 01 November 2007 - 05:09 PM

So I'm looking to do a build for a second time (first time was five years ago almost to the day), and I needed advice. I'm concerned mainly about two things: compatibility and making sure I'm not overspending on some things and underspending on others.

AMD A64 3800+ AM2 Processor = $54
MSI AM2 nVidia Motherboard = $79
Cooler Master Centurion Mid Tower = $45
1 GB Stick of DDR2 800 Memory G.SKILL = $35
WD 320GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive OEM = $80
PNY GeForce 7300GT 256MB Video Card = $70 - $30 (rebate)
Samsung 20X DVD Burner OEM = $34

Optional (I have a power supply already):

Rosewill 500 watt Power Supply = $45

After tax and shipping I can get all of that in for around $450. I absolutely cannot spend a penny over $500. I'm planning on running Windows 2000 (it's what I have) and shouldn't need to buy any additional software. I have 768 MB of DDR memory, but since I'd want to buy another 256 MB stick and would then have to buy a DDR motherboard, I thought it was best to chalk up my old memory and buy new.

I guess my question is whether this is a good combination of parts for the money? And of course are they all compatible? I know just enough about this stuff to make me dangerous. Suggestions?

My last build had two major problems: I kept blowing out power supplies and it was an easy bake oven. The heat caused me no end to problems and I assumed it was because the jerks at Fry's Electronics bait and switched me to a cheap case (which came with 6 case fans). Am hoping to avoid that (and Fry's altogether) this time around.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 01 November 2007 - 06:18 PM

ok cool - yes the parts are compatible and will work nicely together =)

a tad more specs about the parts will give us a better idea on the money side, mainly model names.

im guessing that u are not from australia, and im horrible with currencies and well, maths in general so..i mean the prices do look pretty good :S.

with the home bake oven - just make sure you fit the heatsink+fan correctly.

also a side note, with the cutting edge latest chipsets (x38?) i beleive that they have issues with win2k, but that wont be a issue with u.

goodluck

edit:wording

Edited by 4ward_tristan, 01 November 2007 - 06:32 PM.

=)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:11 PM

I guess that I don't understand upgrading hardware in 2008...to run Win 2K.

Win 2K runs on systems with 1/10th the power and RAM...

Louis

#4 voros

voros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:54 PM

I guess that I don't understand upgrading hardware in 2008...to run Win 2K.

Win 2K runs on systems with 1/10th the power and RAM...

Louis

It's a cost issue, mostly. I don't have much money and it's what I already have. And I'm not upgrading my hardware, I'm replacing it as it's crapped out.

I did mention it though for the purpose of seeing if I really do need to get a newer OS. Is that the consensus here?

I'd hate to have a computer built with all parts under $80 and then spend over $100 on an OS when I have one that is admittedly old but still runs everything. If there are (legal) OS solutions that can keep me under $500, I'm all for it.

Here's the full product names from NewEgg:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Orleans 2.4GHz 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor

Motherboard: MSI K9N4 SLI-F AM2 NVIDIA nForce 500 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard

Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Memory: G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Video Card: PNY VCG7300GXPB GeForce 7300GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

DVD Burner: SAMSUNG Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner - OEM

Power Supply: Rosewill RP500-2 ATX12V v2.01 500W Power Supply 115/230 V CSA, UL, TUV, FCC

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:08 PM

Win 2k is a very acceptable OS in my books.

Parts vs Price your looking very good for a mid range PC (not a high end game station but not a Public library PC either)

Posted Image

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 02 November 2007 - 02:22 PM

I get it :huh:.

Well, once again...if I'm just replacing hardware on a system running Win 2K, I won't spend anything extra. Because there are no considerations regarding upgradeability of the system, if I believe what you stated.

I would not buy any hardware that is current today...no SATA drives, no DDR (unless your memory died), no video card...and would just go with bargain-basement components. But that's just the way that I work...

When it came time to get a new system, new O/S, I would just get a bargain-basement Dell system that would be light-years ahead of what I was used to...but reasonably priced and with semi-decent support.

I knew there was something more important than my speculation :thumbsup:...since this is 2008 (almost), you might want to check that you can find drivers for Win 2K and those components, considering the heavy push that some are trying to make on Vista.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 November 2007 - 02:25 PM.

#7 voros

voros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:04 PM

I agree it's probably best to get a new OS, but I figured it's one of the easier things to upgrade when the opportunity arises. If I come across a copy of Vista on the cheap, or suddenly come into some money, I'll probably go for it.

It's a good idea to check on the drivers. Will do.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 09:44 AM

If all of your software works with Win 2k theres no real need to replace the OS. If it aint broke don't fix it. The hardware you stated is a needed replacement. Everything looks good and you shouldn't have any problems migrating to Windows XP or Vista. You may want to budget an extra gig of ram when and if you decide to upgrade to vista.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users