Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Features Empty In Vista ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Enncee

Enncee

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 01 November 2007 - 04:45 PM

Hi. When I go into windows features (Optionalfeatures.exe) the window that comes up is empty ? Just, please wait, then nothing ? Is there anyone who can spread some light on this problem. Anyone else experiencing this ? Is it a known bug ? I have read on other forums about this issue, but unfortunately no solution. I am running Vista Home Premium. I'm familiar with the http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/931712, but it did not solve my problem cause the regvalue don't exist. I've no problem installing updates from windows update.
I've posted about this on several forums, trying to find a solution without having to reinstall my OS.

Enncee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 01 November 2007 - 06:00 PM

How long have you waited? I just had to wait about 30 seconds and I use this feature frequently - I'd suspect that with only occasional use it'd take longer.

If not this, then what other "tweaks" have you installed on your system - I'd suspect that one of them is interfering with the program. Viewing optionalfeatures.exe in Process Explore (free here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssExplorer.mspx ) doesn't show any unusual associations (all I get is msvcrt.dll, RPCRT4.dll, and ole32.dll in the Threads tab).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Enncee

Enncee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2007 - 02:01 AM

How long have you waited? I just had to wait about 30 seconds and I use this feature frequently - I'd suspect that with only occasional use it'd take longer.

Even if I wait say 5-10 min, still nothing. I've also noticed that the option view installed updates also is empty, so I can't uninstall an update. Still Windows update shows me the installed updates.

#4 Enncee

Enncee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:23 PM

(all I get is msvcrt.dll, RPCRT4.dll, and ole32.dll in the Threads tab).

When I look under the threads tab (Proc.Expl-rightclick on optionalfeature.exe-properties) its 3 rows with (ntdll.dll!Rtluserthreadstart)
I don't see these dll:s your talking about. Am I looking in the wrong place ?
Honestly I don't know how to read this out properly.

#5 Enncee

Enncee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:27 AM

I don't see these dll:s your talking about. Am I looking in the wrong place ?
Honestly I don't know how to read this out properly.

Ok, now I get it, run as admin, sorry.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:30 AM

If you're reading the Threads tab for the OptionalFeatures.exe process - then you're in the right place. And you're getting different info that I've got - which indicates to me that there's something wrong (well, no duh! :huh:

I'd first suggest running SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Run dialog. Go to Start and type in Run - then right click on the Run that shows at the top of the search and select "Run as Adminstrator" - then type "sfc.exe /scannow" (without the quotes) into the Run dialog and press Enter. It'll take a while to run

Since it won't give you a bunch of interaction - you can see if it's running by using Process Exporer. If it needs your input it'll pop up a window requesting your Windows disk (I'm running it myself for the first time right now). I'll post back with anything that seems significant when it finishes on my system.

If that doesn't fix it, then I'd suspect that you're in need of a repair install. Insert your Vista DVD and when it asks to install Vista there should be a "repair" link to the lower left of the main dialog - click on that to repair your system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:38 AM

Well, it finished on my system - and (as with XP) it just terminated with not messages. That means (for SFC.EXE) that everything's OK. It'll be interesting to see what results you get (because of the apparent improper exectution of OptionalFeatures.exe).

#8 Enncee

Enncee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 03:18 PM

Ok. I got (when running process explorer as admin) the same three dll:s that you got when reading the threads tab, but when I run sfc.exe /scannow, it stops after 3% and says something like (Could not perform the requested task) I'm translating from a Swedish OS.
I'm a little bit worried about doing a repairinstall of vista, since I have a triplebootsystem with xp,vista and ubuntu, and don't want to mess up the mbr etc.
I even tried to run the sfc.exe /scannow in safe mode, but same result (stops at 3%)

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:57 PM

Something is very wrong with your installation and I'd suspect that a repair install was your best bet at this point. Not knowing the order in which you installed the OS's - I'd imagine that it would be very likely that you'll break your boot sequence.

Vista should recognize the XP with no problems - but the Ubuntu is a whole 'nother story (and I'm not familiar enough with it to make any suggestions). Maybe posting over to the Linux forums would shed a bit more light on the problem: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/11/linux-unix/

#10 Enncee

Enncee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 12:52 PM

Ok. Thank you for your time trying to sort this out for me. Just for your information the order I installed the OS:s is xp,vista finally ubuntu.
I'll continue with this at the Ubuntu forums (repair vista).

#11 Cathbad

Cathbad

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:01 PM

I have the same problem with features. If the person who tried the regisrty fix would post the fix I'd appreciate it. That article is no longer on MS system. It might work for me.
Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users