Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uatx V Atx

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 01 November 2007 - 04:29 PM

I have a potential client asking a question that I need to make sure I have all the information. The customer has a Compaq D530S-P2 which is a Compaq SFF(Small Form Factor) model D530 with Micro$oft Operating system and a Pentium processor. He has had the computer looked at by another computer shop and they told him its the motherboard and a replacement from HP will be 400 bucks. My questions are 1. uATX stands for Micro ATX? and 2. Are there any know proprietary components on an Compaq SFF computer? I told him to mention that you can find micro ATX motherboards for around 80.00 and to ask why his is so expensive. I have never worked on a SFF (Small Form Factor) and I don't have the privilege of looking at the computer.

Edit: bleepin grammer

Edited by Sneakycyber, 01 November 2007 - 04:52 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 01 November 2007 - 04:41 PM

Not an answer, but a reference: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/...3/c00059123.pdf

Louis

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2007 - 04:49 PM

It looks like a standard computer only smaller. Doesn't explain the 400.00 price tag, unless its like the dealership everything cost more. There is also a good chance I don't have all the information and there is more wrong with the computer.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 01 November 2007 - 04:56 PM

Well...I think it's prudent to realize that many businesses exist to provide a perceived service...but that service is just a means to getting cash in the bank :flowers:.

Considering that there are forums and what I consider to be large numbers of knowledgeable personnel who can advise "customer' before they spend their cash...I have a hard time understanding why some business decisions are made.

Until I accept the fact that a number of them are made by persons without the best information...and who value expediency over quality quite often.

How else can one explain the existence of organizations like the Geek Squad :thumbsup: ?

Anyway, good luck!

Louis

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2007 - 06:12 PM

A motherboard from a computer manufacturer such as HP, Gateway, etc usually will cost around $400 (or more). We usually advise customers that it's not worth the repair if it's a proprietary component like that.

The biggest issue with SFF PC's (IME) has been finding 1/2 height cards that will fulfill the user's needs - so it depends on what's built into the mobo - and if all the screw holes and the backplate will align correctly. After that it's just a matter of seeing that everything will fit (a rubber mallet works wonders! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:13 PM

Micro-atx standards and dimensions
http://www.formfactors.org/developer%5Cspe...Cmatxspe1.2.pdf
Mark

Found this measurement from a uATX case: uatx dimensions(d*w*h) 16.5x7.0x14.0
http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Motherboard

Edited by garmanma, 01 November 2007 - 07:22 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users