Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

\device\cdrom0, Has A Bad Block

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mama4cats

mama4cats

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 01 November 2007 - 12:24 PM

Brand new computers at work, right out of the box.......Yuck.

While trying to load a reportwirter program, Cognos, more than half of the machines started having problems. The error common to the machines that won't load the program is a cdrom error, event ID 7, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block.

The kicker is that on one of the machines, a program did successfully install (after many tries) right after all of these errors began ocurring.

Does this sound like a bad drive or is it the disk containing the program?

Any thoughts?

AMD A10-7700K, MSI A68HM, 2 x 8GB Avexir DDR3 2133, 240GB SSD x 2 & 1TB SATAIII x 4, McAfee, Windows 10 Pro, Office 2016.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 01 November 2007 - 01:40 PM

I think that the only time a CD-ROM gets a bad block error...is when it cannot read the CD (CD dirty, damaged, etc.), at least that's the way it is on my systems.

I just checked my Events Viewer log and I have a whole string of that error message, all occurring between 1730 and 1830 on 18 Oct, a time period when I was inserting a ton of CDs to see what the content was or whether they were unused.

So, I don't think there's anything wrong with the optical drives, but your disks probably need cleaning.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/152688-45-block

Louis

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 01 November 2007 - 02:47 PM

As hamluis stated, a bad block is indicative of a bad block of data on the media that's being checked - so the immediate suspect is the physical CD itself. If the problem continues (and you verify that the CD's are good on another machine) then I'd suspect that it was the CD drive itself.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users