Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive --> Recycle Bin Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 EdGod

EdGod

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:56 PM

Hi,
I've seen some threads for a similar problem, but mine has a slight twist to it. I have a hard drive connected through a USB enclosure that worked perfectly for over a year. I just replaced the enclosure (same make/model) and the files deleted from that drive no longer show up in the Recycle Bin. No matter how many files I delete, the Recycle Bin reads 0 items taking up 0 bytes. I checked my Recycle Bin options and the drive is registering correctly, so I don't think there are any detection issues. The box to remove files permanently when deleted is UNCHECKED for all drives and I've tried rebooting a couple times. My other drives are sending things to the recycle bin as they should, and this one is also working fine except for this one thing.

Quick notes about my system: Windows XP Pro, SP2. The drive in question is FAT32.

Appreciate your suggestions...

Edited by EdGod, 31 October 2007 - 11:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:50 AM

Just a shot in the dark here, but have you tried unplugging the USB drive - then going into Device Manager and uninstalling any hidden devices related to this drive (usually in the Storage Volumes category). This is where Windows "remembers" your drive from the last time that you plugged it in.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 EdGod

EdGod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:22 PM

Hmm I tried that. When the USB drive is unplugged, it doesn't show up on my list of USB storage devices (as it should). Would it be very, very bad if I tried uninstalling it while plugged in?

#4 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:55 AM

have you checked event viewer for any errors

start/run/eventvwr/ok
click application
look for any errors

#5 EdGod

EdGod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:57 PM

The Event Viewer hasn't listed any drive-related errors, which I take is a good thing. I'm wondering if it might be driver-related, but I'm not sure how to re-install for a PNP device.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:15 AM

Once the drive is unplugged it won't show up in Device Manager.
Enabling the viewing of hidden devices (through the menu choices at the top of Device Manager) will allow you to see the hidden devices that your system recognizes. One of them will be the old hard drive with the old enclosure - delete/uninstall that one and the system will be forced to "re-recognize" the drive with the new enclosure attached.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users