Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having Some Strange Symptoms

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 GuruX

GuruX

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:58 PM

My deskop computer is having some trouble. It's having some strange symptoms, and does one of four things whenever I start it.

1) The screen stays blank. I've had this problem before and had to replace the motherboard. The motherboard I have now is about 2-3 months old.

2) After the motherboard logo appears, rather than loading the setup, the screen stays blank other than a blinking underscore at the top left corner of the screen.

3) The setup begins to load, but gets stuck on "Verifying DMI pool data........."

4) The computer performs the setup, but right before windows loads, the bluse screen appears.

If I leave the computer on for long periods of time, I have no problems with it, and the problems very rarely happen when I restart it. They only seem to happen when I power on the computer after it has been completely turned off. Any ideas? Thanks for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 01 November 2007 - 12:23 AM

It sounds like a weak power supply possibly complicated by dirt on fans in the computer, it's that cold startup which requires more power or amperage to get everything running. You can try cleaning the inside of the computer, another remedy(temporary) is start the computer and as soon as it stalls, hit the reboot button if you have one or hold in the power button to shut down and then restart right away.

I had the same problem when the room is too cold.

Edited by DaChew, 01 November 2007 - 12:24 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,293 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2007 - 12:09 PM

Take a look:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000474.htm

http://www.duxcw.com/faq/computer/dmi.html

Louis

#4 GuruX

GuruX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2007 - 06:30 PM

No luck so far but thanks for the suggestions. It's been 2 days since it's run properly. I'm going to reformat it this weekend and see if that helps at all. Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2007 - 06:37 PM

If windows is corrupt and your boot files are damaged, it would stop at the same place, formatting and reinstallng will not fix your problem.
Chewy

#6 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2007 - 10:03 PM

Many power supplies are underpowered, but they are cheap and easy to replace. If you blow your fans off while you have the case open, hold them so they don't spin. That can throw them out of balance. Yeah, I know it makes a cool noise, but I usually try to resist.
And never ever use a vacuum to clean near circuitry inside the case. They cause hella static.

Edited by RknRusty, 01 November 2007 - 10:05 PM.

#7 GuruX

GuruX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:34 AM

If windows is corrupt and your boot files are damaged, it would stop at the same place, formatting and reinstallng will not fix your problem.

Are the boot files located in the hard drive or somewhere else? It seems to me that if it's the hard drive then reformatting would work unless the hard drive is damaged. If the boot files are located in the motherboard then it definately wouldn't work.

Edited by GuruX, 02 November 2007 - 09:35 AM.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:24 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287553

"SYMPTOMS
When the computer is running the power-on self test (POST), it may stop responding (hang), and a "Verifying DMI pool data" error message may be displayed.
Back to the top

CAUSE
This issue is caused by the hardware. "

if you don't believe me, then maybe you might believe Micro$oft
Chewy

#9 GuruX

GuruX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:34 AM

I'm not saying I dont believe you. It says "This issue is caused by the hardware." I'm just trying to find out what hardware that is i.e. motherboard, hard drive, etc.

Edited by GuruX, 04 November 2007 - 11:59 AM.

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:29 AM

the motherboard and cpu will be the hardest to check out

visually inspect the mobo for bad capacitors

first do what I said and make sure the computer and fans are clean

next check your voltage rails(bios) or software, make sure they are within specs

try disconnecting any extra non critical components from the power and see if that helps

go into bios and disable any fast boot option to see if the memory count proceeds w/o error

use memtest to check the memory

run a hard drive diagnositic
Chewy

#11 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 05:36 PM

Mine got to where I had to wait for it to spontaneously reboot several times before it would hang on and run. It got worse and worse until I replaced the HD. It's run fine for two years with no problem like that again. The old drive worked fine for data storage, at least long enough for me to copy My Docs and my Desktop folders over to the new drive.

Edited by RknRusty, 04 November 2007 - 05:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users