Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Detrmine Ram Usage

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nweissma

nweissma

• Banned
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:37 PM

i have 3 real-time antimalwares -- windows defender, avast real-time antivirus, and lavasoft's real-time adaware pro -- plus various drivers, plus the video
card's ram needs (treating a 19" lcd display), plus vista, plus ??. these apparently use a lot more than my 1GB of ram because i see what appears to be
extensive paging. how can i determine how much ram each of the 3 aforesaid programs are using?

if your answer is "Use Task Manager" then i need to know how to read task manager; for example, consider the 2 attacheds -- how do i identify which processes are associated with windows defender, which with adaware, which with avast, which with the video card driver, ...?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:51 PM

i noticed in that first screen shot that your cpu is at 52% usage, while processes in taskmgr shows that nothing(well nothing near close to 52% iirc) is using it...

is that screenshot also showing proceses from all users?

goodluck
=)

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 01 November 2007 - 06:44 AM

In the lower right of Task Manager...Processes tab is a button to show processes from all users - it's use is essential to find out the total of what's running on your system. When you don't use it, all you'll see is the processes that your user account is using - which won't total up to 100% for the entire system.

In the Processes tab the 2 most useful columns for identifying stuff are the Image Name and Description columns. If they don't tell you which is which, then you'll have to a bit of searching to find out more.

First try the Bleeping Computer Startup List located at the tab on the top of this page (here's a link to it: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/ ) If you don't locate it there, then it's off to Google to search for it.

Many Google results will claim that "it" is a virus - take that with a grain of salt. I like this site for most of my research on startup processes: http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintas...processlibrary/

Once that's done, and you know what's doing what on your system, it's off to the Services tab to see what you can keep and what you can kill. To do this, go to http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm and read everything you can about the Vista services - and then apply this to your services that are running. To do this, you'll have to click on the "Services" button in the lower right corner of the Task Manager - Services tab.

You can Start and Stop services from the right click menu in the Services applet - but you'll have to select "Properties" in order to adjust their startup behavior. In the Startup type dropdown box will be several choices (which Black Viper explains much better than I could). Select those as appropriate and reboot to verify the changes (or you can Stop the services one-by-one to see the effect that it will have).

And, just to confuse things further, keep an eye on the Performance tab and the Resource Monitor (a button in the Performance tab) to keep track of what's going on.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users