Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio Skips

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 swalker25

swalker25

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:01 PM

Problem: The audio on my computer skips, all the time. It happens about once every 1-2 minutes while playing an audio file. It doesn't matter what program I use, ie. Windows Media Player, iTunes, Real Player, etc. It happens on all of them. It also happens when I play games, causing the game to skip for a brief moment also. The skip only lasts about 1 second. I notice that my cpu usuage jumps about 15% right at the time that the audio skips. But, the audio doesn't skip every time my cpu usuage goes up, like if I open another program, it doesn't skip. I'm assuming it's just when a certain process uses the cpu for a second, that's when it skips.

Solutions I already tried that didn't work:

1. Turned down the hardware acceleration feature in the Windows Control Panel. The audio sounded really awful, but the problem was still there.
2. Updated all the drivers on my computer.
3. Tried a new soundcard. A different brand also.
4. Bought a new hard drive and did a clean install of windows XP.
5. Bought a new motherboard.
6. Tried a different CPU
7. Tried a different Graphics Card
8. Disabled on board audio on the motherboard
9. Tried another soundcard
10. Tried to mess with the PCI Latency
11. Added more RAM

I'm sure there's a couple more things I tried that didn't work. I'm at my wits end here. I feel like I tried everything. Any help whatsoever would be awesome.

My current computer setup:

Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI SE
CPU: AMD FX-60 - 2.6ghz (Not over clocked)
Video Card: Geforce 7950 GT (Not Over clocked)
RAM: 3gb
Soundcard: Soundblaster X-fi XtremeAudio
HDD: 350gb
Power Supply: 550 watt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:48 PM

did you try a fresh install of xp with the same hardware?

and you tried the same install but with different ram mobo cpu hdd, same sound card though?
=)

#3 swalker25

swalker25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:19 PM

I tried both. I bought a new hdd and did a fresh install of xp on that with the old hardward. I also used my old hdd and added the new hardware. I also tried the new hdd and clean xp install with the new hardware. The problem still persists. I've actually tried 4 different sound cards, plus on-board audio and none have worked either. It doesn't make sense to me.

The main constant has been both mobos and cpus were socket 939. I just wish I knew if this was a hardware or software problem.

#4 swalker25

swalker25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:24 AM

Thank you for the response. I was able to figure out the problem. Apparently, it was my wireless network adapter. I don't know why, but it was causing my processor usage to jump every 30-60seconds, which in turn made my audio skip at that time. I was able to locate a newer driver and *Shazaam* no more skipping.

*Passes out free cookies to everybody*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users