Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed New Gfx Card

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MythicalArcher

MythicalArcher

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:48 PM

Hello everyone. I just got my new Gfx card in from the mail (MSI Radeon RX2600XT-T2D512EZ 512MB) and upon inserting it and booting up, my computer is running very slow. I tried to install the drivers from the CD's but the setup keeps failing, and I try running the .exe for the latest drivers from ATI's site but it won't run, giving me some sort of memory error (I can't remember exactly what it said). So I open the case back up, and make sure the card is seated properly..And then try to boot up again, and now it gives me 1 of 2 errors each boot up.

Disk read error
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot

Or

No boot device available -
strike F1 to reboot, or F2 to run setup utility

So I take out the new gfx card thinking it's faulty, and put in the stock one (stock for a Dell Dimension 4700..An ATI Radeon x300 128MB I think) and now I still get those 2 same errors, even though I'm almost positive the card is seated properly.

Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:55 PM

Those two errors mean a HDD ( Hard disk drive ) failure. Make sure it didnt come unplugged accidently.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 MythicalArcher

MythicalArcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:55 PM

Update:

Now I try to start up and it tells me No boot device available, as well as Primary SATA Hard Drive failure or it doesn't detect at all. I tried unplugging and replugging the plug from the PSU as well as the SATA cable, and even tried a brand new SATA cable..Still nothing.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:56 PM

Well that changes things.. Does the bios detect the drive?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 MythicalArcher

MythicalArcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:58 PM

I'm not sure if it is or isn't..The first error message in my first post doesn't even appear anymore. Now it's just "No boot device available", "Primary SATA Hard Drive failure", or "No SATA Hard Drive detected" (The third one I've only received twice, and noticed I didn't have it plugged in even though I thought it was..stupid gaps)

#6 MythicalArcher

MythicalArcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 04:27 PM

Still getting "No boot device available"..any ideas?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 06:18 PM

To me, no boot device generally means that XP is trying to boot from where it expects the boot files to be...but it ain't happening.

I'd start with the connections (as suggested), move to the BIOS boot options, the MBR, the drive itself.

FWIW: It's important to write down error messages when they appear, they are meant to provide a path to start down.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users