Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Use Zonealarm Instead Of Ca Personal Firewall

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ppanis

ppanis

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:24 AM

Hello,

I have been using the CA personal firewall still, in spite that I am not using their anti-virus suite anymore, but just because I could Never uninstall it, it never let me do it. I mean, I can't find it on my computer anymore but the Windows Security Panel is still showing that I am using the CA as my personal firewall. I tried to install ZoneAlarm but apparently, it never worked out or, I have been wondering, maybe the ZA firewall program has overwritten the CA, and running since well but under the old name of CA, would that be possible ?...

Otherwise, if I have effectively still CA running on my computer, can I ever uninstall it for good (and replace it by ZA) or it is not worth because anyway both are working well ?

Hope someone can help :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:52 PM

Perhaps the best solution would be to reinstall The suite from CA. Reinstall it to the same directory as the first time. I don't know the version you have. Then uninstall it again as something went wrong.
Do you have Icons in the sytem tray for either ZA or CA ?
If so Right click and close/stop either or both, so they are not running.

Uninstall from Control Panel Add/Remove Programs.
After highlighting CA suite there,click the Remove button.
When the Product options window shows,Be sure to check ALL the boxes.
Click Uninstall
Reboot the computer.

Check and see what the Security Panel says now.
It should be gone and install ZA.

Edited by boopme, 31 October 2007 - 09:53 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 01 November 2007 - 06:12 AM

How to manually uninstall CA Anti-Virus
CA Anti-Virus 2007 Un-Install Video
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 ppanis

ppanis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:33 PM

thanks guys, but the problem was that in my uninstall program, there is no eTrust or Computer Associates (=CA) listed anymore since I tried to fully uninstall the CA suite; I have no ZA listed in my computer anywhere either that I could find, neither CA or ZA on my tray... only the CA shows in my security center as the only firewall used... I don't really feel confident to go to delete anything in the Registry though, (anyway I think I had already had to delete CA that way because it was not working through the Control Panel, and still the CA Firewall could apparently never be deleted)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users