Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strategy For Planed Change Xphome To Xppro

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:53 AM

Current:
PC with OEM XP-homeSP1 preinstalled version. On the one and only installation/recovery disk is MS Office, some small version.
The disc also contains OEM drivers and an incredible amount of unnecessary programs I don't need/want. The only thing I want to keep is MS Office. I have updated Office to Office-Pro long ago the base being Office on the recovery disc. I do have all installation CDs.

Possible future:
XP-pro with SP2 from Newegg, a clean XP, no vendor addins of any sort.
This disc will have no initial MS Office installer (that's my guess).
I realize I'll have to install correct drivers somehow.

Questions:
If I were to collect my drivers (how?), ditch XP-home I now have, reformat the drive and install XP-pro (and hopefully pass genuine advantage) how do I handle installing the drivers and my Office-Professional, since to install it, it needs to see that small Office version from the recovery CD or the hard drive (I don't know what it needs really).

Can someone comment on how to handle Office, the OEM drivers, and if possible, a sequence of steps I need to take, including the point when I install firewall, antivirus etc? And is windows genuinne advantage going play nicely or not?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:46 AM

I don't know about installing the 3rd party applications etc..
My advice though, would be to get some kind of image backup
program so that you can save the state of your PC. The type
I'm talking about is if you were to format your drive, then run
the restore, your OS and all the programs installed when you
did the backup would function just as they did then.

The reason there are OEM versions of operating systems is
that there are too many permutations to test to guarantee
the OS out of the box off the shelf will work. A major PC
maker installs on zillions of machines so after a while they
know what the bugs are and can get MS to fix 'em.

Don't take a step that you can't reverse. The backup
I use is only $50 and it's worth it. I have too many little
programs on my machine to keep track of 'em all. It's
better if things get hosed to just lay it all back on at once.

Anyway I use Paragon Personal version disk backup imaging
but there are others around. My HD partition got hosed so
not having that much to lose, I tested it my installing about
a dozen programs, then deleting my C: partition. I booted
the restore CD and laid the backup on. All my programs
were installed and running. A lot of backups, believe it
or not, think you'll never use the restore anyway so why
test it? So you're better off using a program that's also
used for disk transfer(like if you install a larger drive etc.)
since that stuff gets used bugs are more often reported back
to the developers.

It's a different story if you've installed that very OS on the exact
same model of PC before. But going in blind it's better to save
yourself a headache.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:28 PM

Thanks.
I do image backup. Using the booting CD, I will be able to either totally restore the image to point zero (did it several times) or, once some Windows is running, pull data from any directory so long as the imaging program gets installed early in the building process for archives to be read through the windows explorer. I use True Image.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:45 PM

I guess I don't understand the questions, which is not unusual. And I have one of my own: What do you think you gain by moving from Home to Pro?

If, in fact, that truly is what you want to do...the only way to do so is to do a clean install. There is no upgrade path from Home to Pro, since it's almost a lateral rather than an upgrade.

A clean install means using your XP Pro CD, along with accompanying license, to format/create a partition/install XP Pro.

A backup of any XP Home O/S...would likely (I've not tried such) not work when the installed O/S has been changed to XP Pro. So any programs that were installed in XP Home...would not function properly. The only way that I know to get such to occur would be to install each program anew in the new XP Pro O/S or do a dual install of Home and Pro (whereby you restore Home so that your programs work).

I don't have recovery disks. But, if you can find the files which contain MS Office before it was installed, you should be able to copy the entire folder and install that on any Windows O/S. Of course, you would need the Office license validation/activation info which should have been part of your original support package.

Drivers for any system are generally available for download, either at the website of the system manufacturer (e.g. Dell, Gateway, HP, etc.) or individually by component (video, sound, ethernet, motherboard, ethernet, etc.). So, what type of system is this, built or bought from an OEM seller?

If I've misunderstood your intent, bear with me :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:55 PM

I guess I don't understand the questions, which is not unusual. And I have one of my own: What do you think you gain by moving from Home to Pro?

I will gain several things - easier networking and much better user control beyond the limited user that home offers, few other reasons, but I'd rather not dilute the subject at this point.

If, in fact, that truly is what you want to do...the only way to do so is to do a clean install. There is no upgrade path from Home to Pro, since it's almost a lateral rather than an upgrade.

Of course. Clean install after reformat is what I plan to do. The only reason for a safe image is if I wanted to revert to the system I now use in 30min or less. Also, the image holds the data files which I can pull out.

A clean install means using your XP Pro CD, along with accompanying license, to format/create a partition/install XP Pro.

No problem here, that's my intention. Actually I've thought of doing partitions, but can't decide what to put where.

A backup of any XP Home O/S...would likely (I've not tried such) not work when the installed O/S has been changed to XP Pro. So any programs that were installed in XP Home...would not function properly. The only way that I know to get such to occur would be to install each program anew in the new XP Pro O/S or do a dual install of Home and Pro (whereby you restore Home so that your programs work).

Copying application installations (including registry) is NOT my intention. It cannot work. I understand that. I can easily reinstall applications I've put in. And easily copy all data files out of that image. I have the installation files and where needed, all the licence keys. I do not want dual boot.

I don't have recovery disks.

Then you don't know what a :trumpet: criminal pain in the neck :thumbsup: that can be :flowers: You think you're buying a clean, unadulterated, system, and what you get is 50 other preinstalled things you spend weeks getting rid of to reduce running apps from 67 to 29 in task manager. And you can't simply get at the simple things.

... But, if you can find the files which contain MS Office before it was installed, you should be able to copy the entire folder and install that on any Windows O/S. Of course, you would need the Office license validation/activation info which should have been part of your original support package.

Recovery disks, unfortunately do not have a clear directory where MS OFFICE is. They are images, perhaps Norton Ghost, I don't know. So how do I work this part?

Drivers for any system are generally available for download, either at the website of the system manufacturer (e.g. Dell, Gateway, HP, etc.) or individually by component (video, sound, ethernet, motherboard, ethernet, etc.). So, what type of system is this, built or bought from an OEM seller?

Drivers are available, it's just I never know WHICH must I upgrade. The computer is made by Toshiba. Microsoft windows, both XP home and pro offer most of the required drivers, so I just don't know what must be updated. So far, the only update I had to do once was wireless.

If I've misunderstood your intent, bear with me .

No, you did not misunderstand, but also didn't give me a step-by-step I so badly need, plus how to handle the MS Office issue.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:41 PM

OK, second try :trumpet:.

Step by step for doing a clean install: Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

Using the install CD, it will automatically (as you answer screen prompts) delete existing material on the hard drive, format/create a new partition (use NTFS), and install XP.

After XP is installed, it will prompt you for activation. If it has the driver for your NIC, it will make that connection and do it via the Internet. If, for any reason, it cannot make the connection via the Web, it will tell you that you have 30 days to complete activation. You will need to input your license key during the install of XP so have that handy.

As for drivers, XP already has a number of drivers for various systems. In the event that your drivers are not included or that you need drivers, just go to the Toshiba website and use their matrix to find the correct drivers for your system model.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modSel.jsp

Just input the proper info and you should be directed to all drivers applicable to that particular model/system.

You can download those before doing your XP Pro install or after, your preference.

What version of MS Office do you have? As long as you have a valid license, you can get anyone with the same version (e.g., I have Office 2002) to burn you a copy of office. Using that CD and your license for MS Office, you just install from that CD and activate.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:.

Almost forgot...when you first open XP, allow the XP firewall to be set up immediately, before you do any updating or installing. This will protect your system from worms, etc. that may strike at any moment. Then my next order of priorities is: MS updates, antivirus, other malware defenses, set up email.

You want to know where your email directory/store is on your system and save it. If you do a full image of your current system, you can just recover it from there, as long as you know where your message store is. Same for the WAB. Favorites and other personal docs, you know how to handle those. The beauty of system imaging is that anything can be recovered/restored later and it doesn't have to go to the previous location.

I think that's it :flowers:.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 31 October 2007 - 03:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users