Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hard Disk To Install

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Lucasmemorial

Lucasmemorial

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:05 AM

Hey there,

I recently bought a Western Digital WD800JB 80GB Hard Drive 7200RPM with a 8MB Cache and hooked it up to my motherboard correctly but when i go to boot up it says no system disk found please insert a disk and hit any key to continue. I am currently using MAXTOR 6L020J1 20GB Hard drive which is set as "slave" and works fine without the other disk. I assumed that the new 80GB would be best as "master" so i set the jumper plug as "master w/ slave present". When i found this didnt work i tried without a plug set and still had no luck. I then found that the 80GB is not detected under DOS using standard FDISK so was wondering if there is any solution. I have had a 80gig installed on my computer before but that was needed elsewhere.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:25 AM

If the 20 g has your operating system on it, it needs to be master with slave present and the 80g needs to be slave
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Lucasmemorial

Lucasmemorial
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:31 AM

Oh is that all? I'll give it a go now then and let you know. Thanks :thumbsup:

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:07 AM

Don't forget to format the new hdd for your files.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Lucasmemorial

Lucasmemorial
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:15 AM

Right, another problem. The 20GB hard disk is on the bottom tray and is screwed in place with screws that i can get acess to as the tower is a horizontal. So that disk is stuck as "slave" unless i can either buy a cable that has the "slave" and "master" plugs switched so that the grey becomes black etc or i can somehow remove the screws (no idea how though).

#6 Lucasmemorial

Lucasmemorial
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:53 AM

Is there a way to make a Ide ata cable go from Motherboard (blue) - Slave (Gray) - Master (Black) to Motherboard (blue - Master (Black) - Slave (Gray) ?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:14 AM

Those screws are meant to be removable, a simple Philips does the job. Hard drives can always be moved/removed, providing there is space available.

As for cables, a new longer IDE cable (preferably rounded, for better air flow) will set you back all of maybe $5. I believe it's wise to have spares.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.as...53bCables-Round

Louis

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:50 AM

Also remember the master goes on the end of the cable and the slave in the middle. When attaching the new cable to the motherboard be careful not to knock any other wires loose
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2007 - 02:36 PM

Have you checked the jumpers on the Maxtor to ensure that it's on Master or Slave also? I recommend against mixing CS (Cable Select) with another drive set as Master or Slave (although it does work in some circumstances).

In the old days, Master went on the far end of the cable, Slave on the middle of the cable. If you don't want to buy another cable - just put the Maxtor where the Western Digital is now - and put the Western Digital where the Maxtor was - it's either held in with 4 screws - or it has some sort of clip arrangement to hold it in place.

Until you've set the drive up by partitioning and formatting it - it won't be recognized by any operating system (although the BIOS may tell you that a drive is physically present). For some reason the system is trying to boot from the new Western Digital drive and is ignoring the boot sector on the Maxtor. You can probably fix this by venturing into the BIOS of your system and selecting the Maxtor as the appropriate boot device.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Lucasmemorial

Lucasmemorial
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 01:58 PM

Ok thanks guys. I cannot physically remove the screws that hold the MAXTOR in place so ive got a new cable, which is fine. I also noticed that when i went to boot with the WD set as "slave" and MAXTOR as "master" using the CS on both but it mustn't be finding it as it still says there are no disks present.
So can you give me a step by step instruction of using the BIOS to select the boot drive please?
Much appreciated :thumbsup:

Also i found that when i first attempted to install the new HD my RAM was counted upon manufacturers screen (took about 7 hours for my 1.5G :/ )

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,566 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 02:06 PM

Just a note.

Understand the if you elect the Cable Select setting, it must be done for both drives on that cable...and the jumpers for each drive must reflect the C/S setting.

And...you (hopefully) changed the boot options in the BIOS to reflect the fact that IDE-0 is the first boot option, right?

If all this seem repetitive...it's because you don't seem to be following the suggestions given, IMO.

Every BIOS set of screens is somewhat different. If you have a motherboard or system manual, an explanation of the BIOS screens should be included there.

Your first boot option should be IDE-0.

Your second boot option should be set to CD/DVD drive (whichever you have).

I also set my third option to the optical drive.

I just looked over your other posts and I do not see where it is stated that you actually went in and changed/checked the BIOS settings for all drives. Unless your BIOS is set to automatically detect drives, that may be the source of your post.

The question is...do you know how to enter the BIOS on your system? It doesn't seem so, since the screens in the BIOS are meant to be pretty much self-explanatory.

If you don't know how, tell us what kind of system (manufacturer/model OR motherboard/model) you have and someone will tell you how to get there.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 November 2007 - 02:12 PM.

#12 Lucasmemorial

Lucasmemorial
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 03:48 PM

Oki thanks, ive never tried messing around with it as i have never had problems so not sure what to do.

Its a Compaq version 686Y2 v2.11

#13 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 03:50 PM

verify what your 20GB is jumpered as and what the 80Gb is jumpered as.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,566 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 05:05 PM

Negative.

I repeat...tell us what model of Compaq and the number (e.g., Compaq = Manufacturer, EVO D500 = Model, 686Y2, Version 2.11 = BIOS).

And the next time that you decide to install something in a system, read and ask others before you begin.

Now, the computer model, please? Never mind.

The following link explains the basics about the BIOS, screens, how to get into the BIOS, etc.

http://www.cyberwalker.com/article/28

Please read it and digest it before doing anything.

Once you understand the basics of the screens and how to get in...use the info provided for Compaq systems...and enter the BIOS of your system.

Remember what you want to do:

a. Look at the display of hard drives to see what drives are actually listed. You should see at least....one hard drive, 1 CD/DVD drive.

b. On a different screen (probably the next one that you can scroll down to and click on) should be various options you can change about your system. The only ones you are concerned with are the boot options. You want to change those to reflect IDE-0 as your first/primary option. Change the second boot option to reflect the CD/DVD drive.

After you have made those changes, exit that screen by following the directions either on the side or at the bottom of the screen.

Press F10 on your keyboard to save the changes you have made in the BIOS. This should trigger an automatic reboot.

Louis

#15 Lucasmemorial

Lucasmemorial
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 05:56 PM

Oki that makes much more sense now, thanks alot. Ill give it a try when i next can and let you know how it goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users