Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Registry Repair?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:08 AM

Hi Anyone,

Does Window XP have it's own Registry Repair tool?

Does "Error Checking" in disk Properties do this? Do all the various "Error Checking" utilities fix Registry Problems? If "Error Checking" does do this why do 3rd party tools find even more errors to be fixed after using XP's own tools? If not why wouldn't XP have it's own Registry Repair?

I seem to want to trust tools made by Microsoft over 3rd party ones for compatibility issues. So, that is why I want to know for sure what XP may have in it's own arsenal for performance maintenance like Registry Repairing.

It just seems hard to think that XP wouldn't have it's very own Registry Repair tool sense it seems so valuable for smooth operations.

Anyhow, if anyone knows if and what XP may have for this I'd greatly appreciate finding out. Thanks.

John :thumbsup:
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:07 AM

My answer...yes and no :thumbsup:.

Regedit is a registry tool, manual in operation. That is, the user must know specifically what he/she is doing before really fooling around with Regedit...and be aware that manually deleting items in the registry may take some time. Corrections must be made to specific keys, etc. and it's probably a good idea to back up the registry or be prepared to use sfc /scannow or do a repair install if user screws up.

If you are talking about some device that automatically "fixes" incorrect/outdated registry issues...no.

I'm curious as to what makes you think you need to employ a registry cleaner/tool?

I use one (it took me a few years to get the courage/conviction) primarily because I like to eliminate outdated reg entries that do not remove themselves upon uninstall of the application...and because some registry entries (that have no useful purpose at time of removal) can be removed safely, depending on what product is used and the care of the user.

I move my files around a lot and uninstall apps all the time and I'm pretty sure I've never removed anything to screw up my system.

I use jv16 PowerTools, which is much more than a registry cleaner...because I think it's a good utility for me to employ for various things.

Louis

#3 1101doc

1101doc

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:17 PM

jv16PowerTools must be afforded the respect one would give a real world powertool like a chain saw. Improperly used it can completely destroy a Windows installation. It is not for the neophyte!

Most users will find no need for any Registry "cleaning," and the (very) few things that ever need to be done can be accomplished with regedit.

I have never read a post in which anyone said that a problem was corrected by using a 'Registry cleaner.' I have read many posts about serious problems that were caused by such programs.

What every user should have is an effective Registry restoration strategy.
In my opinion, there is nothing better than free ERUNT.

ERUNT info and tutorial: http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt.txt
ERUNT download: http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
(click on a 'Server.')

ERUNT! I won't boot without it!
Neurons that fire together, wire together.
posted with Opera

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 01 November 2007 - 03:52 AM

If you really feel the need to run a registry cleaner, use MicroSoft's own Windows Live OneCare to do a Full Service Scan.
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm?s_cid=sah

And install ERUNT.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users