Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sata Raid Problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Huffer

Huffer

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:48 PM

I am getting the message telling me that a file is missing when I try to boot up. The file is nvcchflt.sys I have tried reinstalling this from the floppy disk using recovery console. However I just keep getting an access denied message when I try to copy it across. If I try to do a repair install, the system just hangs with a message "setup is starting windows"

The problem started when I tried upgrading the Nvidia drivers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:34 AM

Try uninstall/reinstall? Go to Device Manager and remove the nVidia drivers, reboot, reinstall the drivers.

http://www.runscanner.net/getmd5.aspx?MD5=...ss=nvcchflt.sys

It's not a Windows file, it's an nVidia file. Doing a repair install of the O/S...is not the thing to do.

Louis

#3 Huffer

Huffer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:50 AM

The file is missing, so I can't get into windows, which means i can't get to the device manager. I just need to be able to copy the file from the raid floppy to the C drive in the repair console, but I am getting 'access denied'

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:31 PM

The file is not on the RAID disk, I've tried to explain that it's an nVidia driver (as near as I can tell). That's a video driver, has nothing to do with the RAID setup at all.

Good luck, this is out of my league.

Louis

#5 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 04:14 PM

:thumbsup:

Hiya,

Sorry its long but here's your solution.

You cannot access your OS due to the missing file: nvcchflt.sys because this is required for the RAID system to access your drive(s) within Windows. The file should be located within the system32/drivers folder. Deletion can occure when removing VIDEO, and other NVIDIA drivers from Add/Remove Programs.

Without a slipstreamed OS disk, you will be unable to access the recovery console. To create a slipstreamed OS disk, you will need the lates VISTA NVIDIA drivers download from NVIDIA (yes XP users will need this file too! /confirmed to work!)

Download NLITE to create the disk (slipstream) of the LEGACY FOLDER ONLY in the NVIDIA driver pack. google nlite and the vista drivers for NVIDIA.

After extracting the LEGACY folder from the NVIDIA driver zip file, place it on your desktop. You will need access to a working PC to do this of course. NLITE directions to slipstream the drivers is readily available online.

After slipstream you can now access the recovery console within Windows XP setup from the installation boot disk.

The NVCCHFLT.SYS file is STILL on your computer, just not where it supposed to be. Trying to find this file is a real pain in the back end as it is not readily available ANYWHERE online or in the NVIDIA driver packs. I have looked! it is STILL located in your C:\WINDOWS\NLDRV\001 folder. it needs to be in the C:\Windows\system32\drivers folder.

After accessing the recovery console, you can extract the file from the ("backup") folder, into the system32/drivers folder. copy c:\windows\nldrv\001\nvcchflt.sys c:\windows\system32\ drivers

The easiest way to copy the file, and get your system back up and running if this is too much for you, is to reinstall windows on a new disk. The slipstreamed copy of Windows is helpful here, as you will not need to install the drivers for your RAID with a floppy disk. This assumes you are installing another raid to access the raid you already have.
As long as you re-install windows on a NEW disk, and not delete/format your current raid...you will still be able to get your system up and running without ANY loss of data. After installation of the OS, you will want to install the windows drivers for your raid. It should be recognized and installed by your motherboard driver disk.

You then simply open the folder mentioned earlier (WINDOWS\NLDRV) * you may just search the now accessible raid array for the file nvcchflt.sys alternatively* and copy and paste it into the System32\DRIVERS folder.

remove your "temporary" installed OS disk, and your computer will now be working on your previously "damaged" OS RAID array

All of this assumes you do NOT want to reinstall windows and want to LOSE all of your data. In that case, just format and reinstall away! You can use this (new disk install) method to access your array to copy all of your data files as well AND still keep the new os too.

regards,

Tony
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#6 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:08 PM

helpful post bonneville..

i will remember those steps, thanks!
=)

#7 Huffer

Huffer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:47 AM

I have unzipped the Nvidia drivers, but there does not appear to be a legacy folder.

#8 Huffer

Huffer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 02:14 PM

Hi Bonneville,

I have tried to follow your instructions in every conceivable combination without success. I still get access denied whenever I try to copy files.

I could get into the recovery console without a slipstreamed cd, but I still get access denied whether I try with an SS cd or without.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 03:01 PM

Well...I would either have done a repair or clean install by now. I can't stand more than 48 hours of problematical systems, which probably explains why I have 2 desktops and 1 laptop for a single user :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users