Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Msg When Computer Turned On: Secondary Drive 0 Not Found

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 larry1997

larry1997

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:36 PM

When my computer is booting up/starting/turned on I get an error message: secondary drive 0 not found. I'm then given the option of pressing F2 to go to a set-up utility page. When I go there, and scroll down to the secondary master drive line, it says "unknown device." This happended at the same time I started having problems with my cd-rom. I couldn't load pictures on disc onto my computer and was even having problems getting the disc tray open. Any suggestions or just a diagnosis would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:24 PM

Go to My computer and see if the optical drive is being seen there, if it is go into Device Manager and uninstall the drive and restart the computer and see if it is recognized as a new device and see if it reinstall and works.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:26 AM

I would just go to Disk Management and see what drives are reflected as installed (Disk 0, Disk 1, etc.) and compare that to what appears in the BIOS and what appears in My Computer.

Ideally, all three should agree.

If a drive doesn't appear in My Computer but is reflected in the BIOS, there's a problem (loose connection, etc.) with that drive. My experience is that the BIOS is the prime referent to be used, I've not seen a drive not detected in the BIOS but functioning (unless it's one of those old motherboards which don't do autodetection of drives installed).

Event Viewer does a good job of monitoring drive problems, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users