Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Taking Up Cpu

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 girloveswaffles

girloveswaffles

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:55 PM

Im not sure why this has been happening, but it happens quite frequently. When i have the internet running, whether it be firefox, EI, or even just playing a game on multiplayer, the cpu usage will jump every few minutes. Viewing this page right now requires near nothing of the cpu. But when i try to use something on the internet which would be more demanding of it, such as a game or a video, the CPU usage for the internet browser i am using will jump, causing the cpu to go to a full 100% and lag for a few seconds. This will happen every few minutes. Its not noticable if im doing something like i am now, where IE is running at a regular 0%, because the jumps dont take up all of the CPU. But when im using something thats already taking up about 20% of the CPU just from internet usage, those jumps can be very drastic. I have many registry errors, about 500. If anybody can help me fix this problem, or know of a good free reg cleaner, i would appreciate it. Thanks!

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 30 October 2007 - 10:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 girloveswaffles

girloveswaffles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:56 PM

I also forgot to mention that i have two antivirus programs. Both AdAware and Panda '08. Would those clash and cause this?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:27 PM

You should only have one anti virus running at a time, they will cause each other problems like false positives.

Please let us know the make and model of your computer, how much RAM you have, and how much free space you have on you hard drive.

Edited by dc3, 30 October 2007 - 11:29 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 holytoaster4

holytoaster4

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:46 PM

Its okay ad-aware is not anti-virus i recommend that you get spybot which
TOASTERS WILL RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 girloveswaffles

girloveswaffles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:48 PM

Acer Aspire 5100 (Laptop)
895MB RAM.
C:/ 36% Free Space
D:/ 91% Free Space

#6 girloveswaffles

girloveswaffles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:50 PM

And i already have spybot :]

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:32 PM

Not certain if this is the newest Adaware or not ,but that one seems to being causing some problems lately. Try removing it. Install the free Home Version of SUPERAntiSpyware
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 girloveswaffles

girloveswaffles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:58 PM

Alright i removed that, and installed the new one. Now ill just have to wait and see what happens. Ill post later if the problem persists.

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:15 PM

OK sounds good,let us know.
Remember to update weekly and before you run a scan.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 girloveswaffles

girloveswaffles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:41 PM

I tried playing some games online, which usually triggers the lag, but it worked perfectly smooth. I think everything is fine now. But if anything comes up ill post. For now its good!

#11 girloveswaffles

girloveswaffles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:00 PM

Ugh. Its still happening. I wasnt even using a game this time. I was just looking at regular webpages and it started lagging. The cpu shot up to 100 and the mem usage of IE would also jump. I thought removing ad-aware would help, but i guess not.
And other suggestions?

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:07 PM

Have you scanned with the SUPER program aand from Safe Mode? Then a Panda scan in Safe?
How to start Windows in Safe Mode

Let's clear out Malware first then work on the registry.

#13 girloveswaffles

girloveswaffles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:13 PM

Ok theres a problem. I booted into safe mode, and started scanning with SAS. It was going really slow just because safe mode is slow. So i decide that its safe to go out in the other room since its going to take a very long time. So i walk into the other room, and come back maybe a minute later to check on the scan. Then i see that the computer is turned off. I hit the power button, and it does nothing. I panicked a little, and hit the button a few more times. Eventually it turned on. Why did it turn off? (it was scanning the registry during the time that it shut off)
I also have a LOT of registry errors. Maybe that did it? Know of any good free reg cleaners? I know i have about 500 errors.

#14 girloveswaffles

girloveswaffles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:04 PM

On second thought.. reg cleaner could be bad. But what should i do about the auto shut off?

#15 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:28 AM

I'm thinking the best TO DO is either a Repair or Full Install(Is this XP) to reestablish the registry.
A repair will not delete your data,but you will have to redo all updates. A Full will wipe the drive. You will need the XP CD

See items 3 &4 here http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/

Please ask any questios you ned

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users