Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overclocking

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Roadblock

Roadblock

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:14 PM

Hey guys im thinking about overclocking my Graphic card, before i do so,i just wanna know the risks involved. I'm well aware that if a GPU is fried because of overclocking you will not get any money back for it. I own a 8800 gts 640mb, curent stock rates are at ; GPU Core: 580mhz GPU memory:850mhz...... I know that if i go little by little its the safest. liike 5 or 10 mhz at a time and check temperatures after. Aswell as running a artifact scan to make sure it is not overheating. What i wanna know is if anyone knows good rates to put these at, how high i should push them. If i do decide to do this, i know i will take off automatically control gpu fan speed and i can set it higher to lower temperature... right now its a 52C idle, with auto fan control on.. and on the bar to choose how fast you want your fan running its only a little over half, so i'm sure if i wanted lower temperatures i could do it now, but it would obviously be more noisy. Nothing can go wrong in this process aslong as the temperature on my video card remains below the thresh hold right?

So if anyone would like to comment on this it would be much appreciated
Thanks
Roadblock

Edited by Roadblock, 30 October 2007 - 08:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:38 PM

Here's a nice step-by-step article, on overclocking the 8800 Series, using free utilities:
Overclocking the GeForce 8800 Series

Tells you how to determine your max stable speeds, and how to flash them onto the video cards BIOS to make them permanent.

He attained stable speeds of:
GPU - 600MHz
RAM - 1030MHz

It does require you to run your fan at max speed, to keep the card cool, so if noise is an issue, you might want to re-think overclocking the card.

Nothing can go wrong in this process aslong as the temperature on my video card remains below the thresh hold right?

I don't think anybody will make that guarantee, when it come to overclocking. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users