Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleted Realtek Sound Driver On Accident

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 auntrinn

auntrinn

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 07:27 PM

I'm new here. Can someone direct me in the direction of where I might find out how to get my sound back. I need to get the software I'm assuming from somewhere, but I'm not sure where to look. My computer didn't come with any back up Windows XP disks.

Any help would be appreciated.

{Mod Edit:Move to more appropriate forum,Also made topic more descriptive.boopme}

Edited by boopme, 30 October 2007 - 10:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 auntrinn

auntrinn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 07:36 PM

I read over the "before you post a question section". I want to apologize now for the lack of info. I've never really had to ask for help before, so I'm not sure what type of info is needed for someone to help me. Thank you for your patience as I learn how to conduct myself properly :thumbsup:

#3 Dahoe

Dahoe

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 07:43 PM

Hi there and welcome!!!

If you go to this link Everestand download, install and run the freeware program Everest you can find out what soundcard you have installed and therefore which driver you need to install to get it up and running again.

It's a useful little program to have for future use aswell.

#4 auntrinn

auntrinn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:29 PM

Hi there and welcome!!!

If you go to this link Everestand download, install and run the freeware program Everest you can find out what soundcard you have installed and therefore which driver you need to install to get it up and running again.

It's a useful little program to have for future use aswell.

Thank you! I can see that I will use this in the future.

Well, I did that and nothing came back as far as the sound. I see printers, display, processors, ports, USB's, keyboards, etc. Any reason that my sound card wouldn't show up? Or anything for sound for that matter?

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:35 PM

I see that a mod edited the title of your post. It says you deleted your Realtek driver... is that accurate? By any chance did you simply try to use the system restore to revert the system back to a date before you deleted the driver?

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:45 PM

Two reasons why a card may not show up:

1) No drivers installed so the computer doesn't "see" it.

2) No sound card installed. On-board sound is being used instead.

#7 auntrinn

auntrinn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:09 AM

I see that a mod edited the title of your post. It says you deleted your Realtek driver... is that accurate? By any chance did you simply try to use the system restore to revert the system back to a date before you deleted the driver?

Yes, the name was changed. The software that I deleted was Realtek. I'm not so saavy at really knowing what it actually is, but now that it's deleted I have no sound. I was trying to "clean up" and thought it was just another "player" that I don't need.

I didn't revert to anything really. I was just in my change/remove programs section of the control panel and uninstalled Realtek.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:55 AM

groovicus was asking if you tried to use System Restore, to correct the problem.
It can be found at:
Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore

Put a tick next to, Restore my computer to an earlier time, and click the Next button.
On the calender, click a date before you deleted the driver, that's in bold type, and click the Next button.
This should restore your system, to the settings that were in effect, that day.
If you've installed any programs after that date, you will probably have to reinstall them.

Edited by tg1911, 31 October 2007 - 01:55 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 auntrinn

auntrinn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:16 PM

groovicus was asking if you tried to use System Restore, to correct the problem.
It can be found at:
Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore

Put a tick next to, Restore my computer to an earlier time, and click the Next button.
On the calender, click a date before you deleted the driver, that's in bold type, and click the Next button.
This should restore your system, to the settings that were in effect, that day.
If you've installed any programs after that date, you will probably have to reinstall them.

Thank you, I will try that and let you all know!

#10 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:31 PM

if the system restore doesnt work...

have a browse around your bios for onboard audio and if its disabled/enabled(sorry - are you using onboard audio?)

goodluck
=)

#11 auntrinn

auntrinn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:26 PM

:inlove: :trumpet: :thumbsup: :flowers:

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INPUT! THE SYSTEM RESTORE CORRECTED THE ISSUE!

#12 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:41 AM

Chalk one up for, groovicus. :thumbsup:
Glad to here, you were able to get your problem resolved, auntrinn. :flowers:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#13 auntrinn

auntrinn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:14 PM

Chalk one up for, groovicus. :thumbsup:
Glad to here, you were able to get your problem resolved, auntrinn. :flowers:

Yes, put a mark up on his board of successful assists! His advice is useful for future instances of accidentally deleting something that I really did need! I know I'll be back here for more answers to questions. Everyone around me thinks that I'm the go-to-person for their minor computer issues, my parents especially. Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users