Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

deleting NTFS Partition and reformatting hard drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Stuart S

Stuart S

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 16 February 2005 - 06:03 AM

I have recently installed W2k OVER W98 on my laptop, and now realise this was a mistake! I want to delete the NTFS partition, and reformat my hard drive to perform a completely new install of W2K. Could someone please advise how to do this. I am by no means an expert, so please dont make any assumptions about my PC knowledge

Thank you

Stuart

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dalcb22

dalcb22

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 16 February 2005 - 01:55 PM

hmmm.....I'm not sure I know enough about windows 2000 to advise you step by step, I just felt sorry that no one has responded to your post yet. You came to the right place though. In the meantime, You'll want to save all of your personal files from your computer, b/c they will be erased. Also, I assume you have your own copy of windows 2000, it is not just an upgrade?

Edited by dalcb22, 16 February 2005 - 01:56 PM.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2005 - 03:00 PM

You will need to go into the Bios to set your CD-ROM as the first boot device and its really fairly simple from there.

Take a look at this MS article How To Install Windows 2000 Professional and post back if you have any questions or after its done and let us know how it went.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 Stuart S

Stuart S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2005 - 03:48 AM

Cheers. Thi installation isnt the problem really. Ithink I am pretty much ok with that, its re formating the hard drive to start from scratch I'm most concerned about

#5 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 17 February 2005 - 04:02 AM

Try here

This will guide you through what you need to know.
Just make the partition an "NTFS" partition instead of "Fat32"

Good luck.

Edited by JackTheHaack, 17 February 2005 - 04:05 AM.

JTH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users