Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ics On Vista

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CurrencyLad

CurrencyLad

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:10 PM

Hi all!

This might be a potentially curly one.

Am trying to set up ICS on friends new Vista PC with dialup connection. Am experienced setting up home networks between XP and Win9x etc., but complete newbie to Vista (won't be getting it myself for at least 12 months after it's been thoroughly beta-tested by Microsoft's unsuspecting customers and patched LOL!).

OK. So the problem is I am trying to set up Internet Connection Sharing on a dialup connection with the Vista PC as host and my friends old XP PC as the client. Have tried both automatically and manually assigning IP addresses on both PCs on the IPv4 protocol, but in each case have only limited connectivity. Have installed Microsoft's Link-Layer Topology Discovery client on the XP PC but that hasn't seemed to have helped. I am obviously missing something.

The thing is, XP came with a home networking wizard which, whilst it usually required some manual tweaking afterwards, did most of the leg work for you. Can't seem to find anything similar in Vista.

I know many of you are right now probably thinking "Set up ICS on a dialup connection in Vista?. Haven't you heard of broadband?" I know broadband and a router (which is what I use at home) would probably instantly resolve all these connection woes, but the ongoing financial cost of broadband - pretty expensive here in Oz - isn't an option right now for my friend.

So, anyone here managed to cross this particular hurdle? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:58 AM

I haven't tried this myself because as you say, I have the broadband and router. But when I had dial-up, I used
a nice little application called proxy.exe. It's freeware you can download from AnalogX

It supports ftp, http, and just about anything most users would need.
You just turn ICS off and run the server and client of this app. Very
quick to set up. If Vista gives you a hassle try setting the shortcut
to "run as administrator" and see if it works.

If it doesn't go, you've only wasted about 1/2 hour and no cash. :huh:
Try the browser first. Go into connection settings for the browser
and tell it you are connecting via a proxy and point it to the machine
running the server. If that works, chances are so will everything
else. Plus you don't have the hassle of dealing with ICS. It's
much nicer to use.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2007 - 06:17 AM

Have you checked to ensure that the dialup ISP is Vista compatible? If it's not, you can try these 3 things to help:

1) Disable the IPHelper service in the Services applet (Go to Start and type "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter)
2) Disable IPv6 in the Properties for the dialup connection
3) Disable the DHCP Broadcast Flag with these directions: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/928233
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 username12345

username12345

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:00 PM

Did you go to Network Connections, click on Properties for the dialup connection, then go to the Sharing tab and tick the first box? Because changing the setting in the IPv4 protocol will not make ICS work.
Also can you connect the computers together and then from command prompt do "ipconfig" and tell me what it says for both computers. (Host computers IP should be 192.168.0.1)

Edited by username12345, 01 November 2007 - 11:10 PM.

#5 CurrencyLad

CurrencyLad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 02 November 2007 - 05:15 PM

Thanks for these prompt replies guys. Will visit my friend in a few days (currently in the middle of a set of shifts) and try out Usasma's suggestions first, and (if these don't help) then MilesAhead's suggestion of the little proxy server from Analog (only 269K! - why can't Microsoft write code this small?). Will keep you posted on progress.

In reply to username12345, yeah this is how I tried to enable ICS in the first place (Sharing tab is pretty much the same as XP). But XP also had you run a config routine on the client. Thought Microsoft's LLTD client for XP (see original post) would take care of this, but so far no go. The Vista host has the usual 192.168.0.1 IP address and I manually configured the XP client to have 192.168.0.2 IP address. If I let both PCs take care of things automatically the XP client gets a 169.etc address which obviously means it's not getting DHCP service from the Vista host.

If configured manually, the network works, both PCs can see each others shared folders and most networked games work (a few that want to connect to the internet first throw in the towel). Just no internet access on the XP client - go figure.

Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:37 AM

Just came upon another little Vista IPv6 thing yesterday and dunno if it affects connectivity significantly. But here's a link to the KB article just in case: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932520

On the HP computer I was working on it didn't seem to matter if I enabled/disabled this device - so it may be nothing. But it would depend on the Vista compatibility of your ISP.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users