Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Message/popup Just Before Logon Screen.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dahoe

Dahoe

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 05:09 PM

Hi there,
not sure if this is a serious problem or maybe the start of one but recently this black background with a popup window or error message made mostly of hieroglyphics has started appearing just before the logon screen when i boot up my pc or log off and on again.
Once i click on "OK" it continues onto the logon screen, which has 4 users by the way, and everything seems to be fine.
Sometimes the message contains the words ":\windows\system32\drivers" at the top and if i leave it for a while some of the hieroglphics change.
I'm running Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 and have run full system scans recently with AVG AntiVirus, AVG AntiSpyware, Spybot, Adaware2007 & Super AntiSpyware but all that turned up was a few cookies.
Anybody got any ideas what could be causing this??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:06 PM

If you read part of it...it's probably inaccurate to describe other words as "hieroglyphics".

It helps if you post the exact, entire content of any error message that appears. These things appear to eliminate unnecessary speculation heading in wild directions.

Louis

#3 Dahoe

Dahoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 07:30 PM

Well i guess the technical name for the fonts the text is written in is a mix of Wingdings, Webdings, Symbol & Marlett from what i can work out by comparing it to the fonts in MS Word.

The only readable text is when ":\windows\system32\drivers" which pops up on the top banner for a while every fifth or sixth time i boot up

I think some of it is in foreign languages e.g. Chinese sometimes also.

I can't post the exact text as it changes every time and can't type it out or print screen.

Actually here's a photo, it might explain it better...Attached File  Error_Pics_001__Large_.jpg   58.64KB   54 downloads

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 07:57 PM

How about a check of Event Viewer for possible clues? You are looking for errors on any tab (unsuccesses on the Security tab).

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Louis

#5 Dahoe

Dahoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:26 AM

Hi again,
sorry about taking so long to get back but there were a couple of errors in Event Viewer, one to do with Roxio Easy CD Creator and one to do with Symantec AntiVirus both of which were uninstalled a while back.
Anyway i've sorted those errors now but the problem still persists.
Have had one development though, if i leave it for 3-5 minutes it now goes to the logon screen by itself.
Any more ideas would be much appreciated.
Steve.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:35 AM

Well done :thumbsup:.

I suggest running chkdsk from inside XP, using the following as a guide: How To Run CHKDSK In XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q315265

Reference material: Chkdsk Explained, Understanding What Chkdsk Does - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314835/EN-US/

After chkdsk completes, I would reboot, then check Event Viewer (all 3 tabs) for indications of problems.

Louis

#7 Dahoe

Dahoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:22 AM

Hi Louis,
cheers for all your help by the way.
I ran chkdsk and it had to run next time the system restarted, which it did and after another restart gave me the message Volume is now clean or something similiar and booted straight to logon screen.
But unfortunately the next time i booted the same problem is back again
Have tryed another reboot since but same result.
And Event Viewer seems clear also.
Any other ideas??

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:52 PM

I really don't know.

My boot problems are usually very simple when they occur. My MBR is bad, unmountable boot volume, or something that is well documented on the Web and I just look up the planned solution and execute. When those fail, I just try a repair install first, and if that fails, I do a clean install.

I have had one situation where I could not logon (NTFS file system was corrupt) and I just did a clean install for that.

I suggest you await some input from others.

I suppose that you can't hurt anything by trying the fixboot command from the Recovery Console. Enter the RC just as you did for chkdsk but instead type fixboot and hit Enter (as opposed to typing chkdsk /r).

Louis

#9 Dahoe

Dahoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:19 PM

No worries, thanks for all your help anyway... :flowers:
Think i'll leave fixboot alone for the moment though as the PC is booting fine so don't really see what benifit it would be.
Just have to put up with the annoying window being there at startup for a while and keep my data backed up in case it does become more serious.
I'll try around a few other forums anyway and if i do come up with a soloution i'll be sure to post back with it.
Cheers,
Steve. :thumbsup:

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:49 PM

Feedback appreciated :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users