Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wmp54g

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 xanderthemighty

xanderthemighty

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:00 PM

I have been searching the day away on this problem and have yet to find a satisfactory resolution, perhaps you can offer some assistance. Today I've been working on a computer that was having connectivity issues... after doing a few virus and spyware scans without any change I attempted to uninstall and reinstall the drivers for my wireless adapter. When I tried to reinstall the Wireless card no window for 'new hardware found' pops up... in fact the card doesn't seem to register when I have the computer search for it. I went into the new hardware wizard and installed the card manually but I get the error code 10 - "This device cannot start." and so I started with one problem and it got worse, does anybody have any suggestions?

BTW - The wireless card is a linksys WMP45G r 4.1 and the OS is Windows XP SP2
I've done numerous searches and some people just give up on the card, others find solutions to the problem but I can't figure the solutions out or they just aren't working right for me. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:26 AM

There are generally three ideas that come to mind regarding your issue with this wifi card.

First I would like to know the process by which you are attempting to install the card.

The recommended installation process is to install the Software for the card with the card NOT YET
physically installed. After the software install, you shut the computer down and plug in the card, and restart
the computer. This has to do with the way that windows communicates with the wifi cards.
If you try manually installing with just the driver then I would NOT expect the card to work right.
Don't Forget to read the Manual before installing.

The next thought I have is, could you possibly have a bad PCI or PCMCIA card slot? You may want to attempt
installing another card of any kind, maybe a modem or sound card and see if you have any issues with those.
I don't believe this is the culprit but without testing you won't know. Another option there is to attempt installing that
card in another PCI Slot. However, it still sounds like you might be putting the horse before the cart.
Again attempt installing the Software before ever installing the Card physically.

The last piece is somewhat minor, you may want to check that msconfig isn't set to be more restrictive.
If you click START: RUN and type "msconfig" and make sure normal startup is selected. other than that
DON'T Mess around with msconfig because you could regret it. It's for diagnostic purposes only.

Get back to us with what you've tried after this.

PS You NEED THE SOFTWARE FROM LINKSYS
WMP54G Driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users