Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Msn Messenger Infection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Kidd

Mr Kidd

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:28 AM

Got a message file from a contact: pictures4myspace.zip, accepted it and inadvertadly opened it which infected my comp. then droppep a process named runsvc.exe in the system folder. AVG detected it as Trojan Horse Generic8.WKB but I can't find any information on the WEB about this process and want to be sure it's completely gone from my comp.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Citrus

Citrus

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:15 PM

A good antivirus software should be able to do the job nicely.

#3 FreakyZ

FreakyZ

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:00 AM

I got it too, same situation, but the file was in system32 as defender.exe. AVG seems to have deleted, it as I did a search on my PC after a scan and it came out clean. I haven't had any reports of my computer sending out the zip file through my Windows Live Messenger. I am running Windows Vista Home Basic and Windows Live Messenger 8.5.1288.816

Edited by FreakyZ, 31 October 2007 - 03:03 AM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:02 AM

Please download MsnCleaner.zip and save to you Desktop.
  • Extract (unzip) the file to your desktop. (click here if your not sure how to do this) but DO NOT use it yet.
  • Reboot your computer in "SAFE MODE" using the F8. To do this restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A boot menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".
  • Double-click MsnCleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click the "Analyze" button.
  • A report will be created after the scan and will be saved to C:\MsnCleaner.txt.
  • If it finds an infection, click the "Deleted" button.
  • Reboot normally when done.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 analyzethis

analyzethis

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:51 PM

I stupidly clicked on a received file from MSN today, something about hotmail-album-????.zip. It expanded to a folder with www.hotmail.com in it, which I clicked on. Don't know what i was thinking today.

Anyway, after deleting it and running that MsnCleaner (which found nothing as I previously deleted the files), everything seems fine, but some of my msn message windows will occasionally disappear and reappear for about 30 seconds. I'm thinking something else may have got infected.

Does anyone know if any files get installed anywhere if you ran this thing?

Thanks!

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:01 PM

Hello analyzethis

If you have an issue or problem you would like to discuss, please start your own topic. Doing that will help to avoid the confusion that often occurs when trying to help two or more people in the same thread with different problems. Even if your problem is similar to the original poster's problem, the solution could be different based on the kind of hardware, software, system requirements, etc. you are using. Further, posting for assistance in someone else's topic is not considered proper forum etiquette.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 analyzethis

analyzethis

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •