Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Normal With Vista?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Roadblock

Roadblock

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:52 AM

Is it normal that with vista it uses 800mb of my memory, since it says in my advanced properties i only have 2.2gb of available memory, i guess its from all the special features on vista.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:13 PM

Where exactly does it say that you have 2.2GB of memory available?

How much memory is available hasn't really got anything to do with how much memory Vista uses. Vista uses all the memory all the time, but has a priority scheme where a process with higher priority can steal memory from a process with lower priority. Then Vista also pads this with the pagefile where low priority stuff gets dumped onto the hard drive in case of a RAM shortage.

When talking about memory available you usually mean that something else is using the memory or the address space instead of Vista, i.e. integrated graphics.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 30 October 2007 - 03:14 PM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Roadblock

Roadblock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 01 November 2007 - 10:39 PM

Sorry for the late response.. yeah i guess i meant i went to msconfig and than to system information and it told me i had 2.27gb available memory left... It was sort of a dumb question i just wasnt used to seeing it use that much just for processes compared to xp :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users