Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo
* * * * - 17 votes

How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#16 creighs

creighs

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:51 PM

Here is the information for disabling Sophos AV (at least for non-business version):

Checking protection is on

The computer is protected by on-access scanning.

On-access scanning intercepts files as they are accessed, and grants access to only those that do not pose a threat to your computer or are authorized for use.

When on-access scanning is active, a blue shield is displayed in the system tray.

[img]http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ZB0g3LTRBa30vM:http://www.chem.utm.my/units/komputan/images/icon1.JPG[/img]

When on-access scanning is inactive, the shield is gray.

[img]http://www.kingsford.org/Technology/AntivirusWarning_files/image013.jpg[/img]

Note: The status of on-access scanning is also indicated in the Sophos Anti-Virus window under Status.
If your computer is on a network, on-access scanning has probably already been configured. However, if you want to change the settings, refer to Configuring scanning.

Turning protection on or off for the computer
CAUTION:
If you turn protection off, Sophos Anti-Virus does not scan files that you access for threats.
Note: You need to be a member of the SophosAdministrator group to turn protection on or off for a computer.

On the Configure menu, click On-access scanning.
In the On-access scan settings for this computer dialog box, click the Scanning tab.
To turn on-access scanning on for the computer, select Enable on-access scanning for this computer, and click OK. The Sophos Anti-Virus system tray icon turns blue.

[img]http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ZB0g3LTRBa30vM:http://www.chem.utm.my/units/komputan/images/icon1.JPG[/img]

To turn on-access scanning off for the computer, deselect Enable on-access scanning for this computer, and click OK. The Sophos Anti-Virus system tray icon turns gray.

[img]http://www.kingsford.org/Technology/AntivirusWarning_files/image013.jpg[/img]

In the Sophos Anti-Virus window, the Status menu is updated.

Note: Sophos Anti-Virus retains the settings you make here, even after you restart the computer. If you have turned on-access scanning off, it remains inactive until you turn it on again.

Note: If you turn on-access protection off, you can still run on-demand scans of your computer.

Disclaimer: The images in this post were obtained through Google Images search, and their respective website locations should show up in the image text of this post. If not, I can provide you with the link. (Just covering my bum) :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 Ray911

Ray911

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:43 PM

I have a dell vostro 200 running on xp sp2. I installed bitdefender total security 2009 but didn't work well; didn't even appear in the taskbar and could only run manual scan and that too was screwed up and used to delete all exe files including games and everything good. I was told by a HJT team member to run combofix for which i had to disable the firewall of bitdefender but i couldn't as it wasnt there in the taskbar so i uninstalled it and rebooted my PC but still combofix tells me Bitdefender firewall is active . I checked in the C:\Program files for the bitdefender folder but it was deleted, tell me what shall i do as Combofix has to be run to remove malware but tells me it will run on my own risk.
Screw Malware & All Kinds of viruses using OUR BELOVED HJT

#18 krara1

krara1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 07:09 PM

I'm trying to disable PREVX (3.0). WHen I right click on the Prevx icon, Show Management Console is not an option. There is an option to "Stop Monitoring." Is that what I should choose?

I also have the Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition that I need to disable. I tried to find directions on how to do this via the link on the page, but got stuck since "status & settings" is not in my left nav. Can you help?

#19 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 06:39 AM

Instructions to disable Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition are provided in the Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition User's Guide under the section Turning File System System Protection off temporarily.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#20 amatechture

amatechture

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:17 PM

I am running Windows in Safe mode (the malware on my computer blocks my control when I go into full Windows) and the above disabling directions don't seem to apply for AVG and Spybot--the controls for the software seem to run differently in Safe Mode. Adaware looks similar though so should be ok with that. Please help with disabling in Safe Mode!

Thanks,

I am running

AVG 8.5
Adaware
Spybot

#21 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:19 AM

Basically, what you should be concerned with are real time scanners
AdAware is On Demand. So is Spybot, for the most part. You just need to be concerned with the Teatimer function, which is covered in this thread
For AVG, just right-click on the icon in the system Tray and select Exit
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#22 Daddys_Jewel

Daddys_Jewel

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 12:18 AM

I read through the instructions and previous posts, but I still can't figure out how to disable McAfee's real time scanner, Total Protection Service, so I can uninstall ComboFix, per a helper's instructions. When I started the uninstall, I got a warning window that TPS was running and not to proceed until it was disabled. But there is no option to exit. (I hope it's okay to link an image.)

Posted Image

When I go to my programs menu to open TPS, nothing happens. It doesn't open, so there is nothing to turn off. Any ideas on how to turn it off? Thank you!

#23 Daddys_Jewel

Daddys_Jewel

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 12:28 AM

I went to McAfee and read the online manual. There is supposed to be another icon in my tray, but it's not there. It's a white M in a red square box. Is there another way to disable it? Thank you.

#24 williamkidd

williamkidd

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:24 PM

Basically, what you should be concerned with are real time scanners
AdAware is On Demand.

Hi garmanma,

Would Ad-Aware's Ad-Watch Live! be considered a real-time scanner? The product description shows it as being "Basic integrated real-time protection" but I'm not sure if that qualifies as a scanner.

If it is then then disabling it is easy. Right-click on the Ad-Aware icon in the system tray and choose Disable Ad-Watch Live!.

#25 bolzano_1989

bolzano_1989

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:33 AM

Coud someone give me the proper instructions to Temporarily Disable these Antivirus from Vietnam :
CMC Antivirus : hxxp://cmcinfosec.com/download/setupCMCIS.exe ( FROM hp://cmcinfosec.com/download.php )
BkavHome Antivirus (BKAV ) : xxhxxp://middle.bkav.com.vn/BkavHomeSetup.exe
and the update file : hp://middle.bkav.com.vn/BkavHomeUpdate.exe

During the process of removing malware from your computer, there are times you may need to use specialized fix tools. This is especially true if you are receiving help from a member of the HJT Team. Certain embedded files that are part of these specialized fix tools may at times be detected by your anti-virus or anti-malware scanner as a "RiskTool", "Hacking tool", "Potentially unwanted tool", a virus or a "Trojan" when that is not the case.

These tools have been carefully created and tested by security experts so if your anti-virus or anti-malware program flags them as malware, the detection is what's known as a "False Positive". Anti-virus scanners cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert you or even automatically remove them. In these cases, the removal of these files can have "unpredictable results" and unintentional results.

To avoid any problems while using a specialized tool it is very important that you temporarily disable your anti-virus and/or anti-malware programs before using them or when instructed by a member of the HJT Team. You can re-enable these programs after the malware removal process has been completed.

Many folks may not be sure how to do this so the BC Staff has created a list of common anti-virus programs and the relevant steps to disable their Real-time protection capabilities. When your system has been cleaned or when advised by your helper, it is important that you re-enable your security programs to avoid re-infection. A special thanks to Yourhighness for the diligent effort in compiling this list.

Edited by boopme, 22 October 2012 - 04:13 PM.
Deactivate Hot links

#26 FriscoGirl

FriscoGirl

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:01 AM

How do you disable Spybot and Teatimer when you cannot get the program to load - the applications are shown as running the the Windows Task Manager - but the process cannot be stopped.

#27 robertav8

robertav8

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 12:38 PM

None of this will work, I have to contact AVG

#28 richsale

richsale

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:09 PM

In Avast I right clicked on the avast! icon in system tray and chose (Stop On-Access Protection). When I start combo fix I get Avast anti virus running, how do I shut this off?

#29 princess_sophia

princess_sophia

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:26 PM

How to disable McAfee® Total Protection™ Service 5.0.0.604

Right click the M shield Posted Image and click on Open Console

Click on action menu and then click on Product Details

Under virus and spyware protection click Disable.
Welcome to McMalwareCrushers! Would you like to try our ultimate destruction combo for the low low price of FREE?

Over 00000000 satisfied customers!

"If there's a will, there's a way, if not then there is always linux".
"You are never too old to be a kid again".

#30 creighs

creighs

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:02 AM

The solution given isn't working for my particular antivirus. We are running the newest version here. Any insight as to what has changed and how to fix it? Thanks.

Hi GregoryGrosu,

A few months ago I posted something on Sophos AV. Refer to post #27 & 28 in this thread (I apologize if these are the posts you were referring to already). I have a subscription through my university. I posted everything I could find/figure out/know. I hope it helps, and sorry if it doesn't!

Best,
S.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users