Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 woodman

woodman

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:43 AM

Hi, I hope you can help me.

I use Outlook 2003 to connect to my works server exchange and I also have set up a seperate pop3 account for my personal emails. For my personal emails I use Bluebottle and I connect directly to their server by what I thought was through my ISP. Both their ingoing and outgoing settins are mail.bluebottle.com.

When I logged on to my works server via web access and not outlook, I saw all my personal emails on their server. I do not understand why this is happening. What can I do to avoid this.

Many thanks in advance.

Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:08 PM

They are more than likely running a Proxy Server to regulate content and improve overall system performance. They are caching internet content, this would overall, reduce the amount of bandwidth needed for internet traffic.
The only think you can do is avoid sending personal emails from your work computer.
Consider a Blackberry or Trios for personal emails.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 woodman

woodman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:45 AM

Thanks for your reply. The problem for me is that I work from home so I use my personal computer to connect to the server and get my personal emails.

Regards

Paul

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 05:32 AM

What type of connection do you have at home? DSL, cable, satellite, dialup? In the Accounts in Outlook go to Properties, then Server. What Server setting do you have in the Outgoing? It it your Companies Server or your ISP's server?
Did your company require you to install software to be able to remotely connect to their network? If so that may have a element that is recording your information, both business and personal.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 woodman

woodman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 06:12 AM

Hi Acklan

First of all for my connection at home I use a wireless modem

When I click on the accouts in outlook I have two

Microsoft Exchange Server (Default) which has my works address as the outgoing and ingoing server
Personal Accout - Pop 3 which has my bluebottle account settings as my incoming and outgoing server

When I open up outlook, I have to log on straight away to my works server but I thought that if I sent email using my POP 3 it would use my own isp to send it but obviously this is not the case.

Thanks again

Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users