Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Logging In Takes 4ever

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mykee22

mykee22

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:24 AM

I have a network of about 15 pc's. Well now for some reason 3 of them take for ever to log onto the server. I have been doing some reading and most say its something to do with DNS. My question is why only a few of the pc's are doing this not all? Server 2003 :thumbsup:

Edited by mykee22, 30 October 2007 - 09:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Eisles

Eisles

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 08 November 2007 - 12:36 PM

Are all of the PCs running the same OS? XP will actually log you in based on cached credentials, and look like it's hung after login while it waits for the network connection. 2000 waits for the network connection prior to giving you the login screen. The delay would most likely be caused by DHCP and not DNS. The XP machine will wait while the adapter is getting an IP assigned to it. You could always Enable the Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon group policy. It's located under Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / System / Logon.

#3 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:59 AM

Is it just those PCs for all users who try to login, or just a couple of users who normally use the same PCs?
If it's the latter, try resetting their profiles.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#4 mykee22

mykee22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:36 AM

Well I removed the last few pc's off the domain over to the work group and everything is fine now. Ok now let me ask this do I really need to have a domain? I find the work group is doing everything I need. We do not have a mail server, I dont mind walking around to each pc to do updates etc.. (keeps me thin). So please someone tell me the pros and cons about the two. 1 work group 2. domain.

Edited by mykee22, 20 December 2007 - 04:01 PM.

#5 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:16 AM

A domain allows centralised management of credentials, security settings. Workgroups mean that the workstations aren't as dependent on the fileserver.

IMO, if you have a file server and more than 15 PCs, having a domain (once it's set up, at least) will be less effort for you in the long run.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users