Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Counter Strike Source Gfx Card Help

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 xtinox

xtinox

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 05:23 AM

Hey , well im new to this. I have a little more than basic knowledge on pc's. I played Counter Strike: Source at my friend's house and liked it. So i came home, Paid and downloaded the game. I dont have any mods on my computer. my friend said he had an old gfx card he didnt need because he bought the 8800 ultra. He sold me his Radeon 9550 for 20$. I know it isn't the best card out there, but hey im new to this. Anyone know how it could be correctly overclocked? Because ive read that you can burn up ur card. Ive also decided i want to build my own Rig. Any tips on how to start? like should i get a new cpu 1st?

My current specs

Dell Dimension DIM2400
Intel ®
Celeron® Cpu 2.40 GHz
2.39GHz,512 MB of RAM

INTEL® EXTREME GRAPHICS REPORT

Report Date: 10/30/2007
Report Time[hr:mm:ss]: 06:22:31
Driver Version: 6.14.10.4342
Operating System: Windows NT* 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
Default Language: English
DirectX* Version: 9.0
Physical Memory: 510 MB
Min. Graphics Memory: 1 MB
Max. Graphics Memory: 64 MB
Graphics Memory in use: 6 MB
Processor: x86
Processor Speed: 2392 MHZ
Vendor ID: 0x8086
Device ID: 0x2562
Device Revision: 1

* Output Devices Connected to Graphics Accelerator *

Active Monitors:1
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:43 PM

You could use the program called rivatuner which is good for overclocking. I prefer ATI Tray Tools because it displays how many FPS you are getting in a game in the top right hand corner of the screen.

Also, about building your own computer, you should make a new post about it in the hardware section of the forums.

When building a new computer, the first thing you should decide is how much you want to spend, and if you're going to be spending some of your total money on a screen, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc. So for the first parts you should look for are the processor and graphics card if your going to be gaming. A member on the forums here, or I can help you pick out a good processor, graphics cards, etc. after you let us know your price range, and what you will be using your computer for (specific game titles if your going to be playing lots of games).
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 xtinox

xtinox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 05:50 PM

Yea my PC will be mostly for gaming and im looking to spend around 850. I love CSS and im tryin to also play Brothers In Arms. BTW can you tell me the correct and safe way to over clock my 9550? It doesnt have a fan on the card itself FYI.
Posted Image

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:26 PM

If it doesn't have a fan I wouldn't over do it. Most overclocking programs just have little slider bars that tell you the number in mhz of the core clock and memory. You just adjust the slider as you want. Take it slow though. I'd say maybe do like 25-50mhz on the core, but no more.

From my experiences, overclocking the memory gives you more performance boost then the core. I'd say gradually raise the memory about 15-25mhz at a time. See how your computer reacts to it and maybe play games for a bit. You could probably raise the memory about 50mhz safely then from there gradually increase it. Good luck!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 xtinox

xtinox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:44 PM

thanx man! ill let you know the outcome.
Posted Image

#6 xtinox

xtinox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:02 AM

well, i got my gfx card..and found out my pc isnt even agp..its pci.. not even pci express lol..im gonna need to rebuild my pc. any help with this? im thinkin of starting out with an asus striker extreme motherboard. but im unsure of what cpu to buy. im gonna go with the 8800 gtx.
Posted Image

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:57 AM

I think the best processor for the price is C2D E6750 . My friend got one, and it is really fast! Of course if you really wanted to spend more theres better processors that cost more. I want to get the Q6600 Q6600 . The E6750 is a little faster at playing games and doing other things, but the quad core can multitask a lot more, and will be better when more programs can use multiple cores. Also, you should get at least 2 gb's of ram, and a 64-bit Os so you can get over 3 gigabytes of ram.

#8 xtinox

xtinox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 11:30 AM

i think ill go E6750 for right now and then upgrade in the future. what about hard drive whise? i heard raptor is good. 10000 rpm xD anything else i should look into? i know cooling is a major factor.
Posted Image

#9 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2007 - 06:09 AM

I wouldn't waste the money on raptor hard drives. From what I've heard, if something takes you about 30 seconds to open, a raptor will do it in maybe 28 seconds. For the big price difference I wouldn't bother.

The Asus Striker looks like a beast motherboard, if you want to spend that much on just the board.

For ram, you should get at least 2gb, especially if you want vista. Don't go for the cheapest stuff (even though I usually do), but it's kind of unnecessary to buy the really expensive kind.

Go with a 64-bit OS. If you get a regular 32-bit, you'll be limited to like 3.5gb ram total. This will make future upgrades hard. Anyways I heard newer games like Crysis, work better with 64-bit. The only problem with 64-bit is theirs a few things that might not work too well with it. For instance my friend has it, and its working great, but he got an iphone and the iphone won't work with 64-bit for some reason. He got all his other things to work like all his internal hardware, his printer, his ipod, his digital camera, and many other things.

The 8800GTX is the top card out, but in the coming months their should be even newer and better cards coming out so you might want to wait.

You'll need a very nice power supply for all of this. The 8800GTX requires a minimum of 30A on the 12v rail, and you should probably get a high quality one with probably over 500 watts.

#10 xtinox

xtinox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 05:57 PM

thanx, im workin right now just to save up for all this..and about the 8800 gtx, i guess ill wait. this is going to be the 1st computer i build, so im going to take all the help i can get
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users