Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone Remember Dos 3.31?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mama4cats

mama4cats

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:36 PM

I need to get some data out of an old machine and hope someone can help me with the right commands.

I hooked it up, plugged it in and on the glowing green screen it says:

COMPAQ Personal Computer DOS Version 3.31

C:>

While I may be almost older than dirt, over the years I've become a Windows addict, and have forgotten what little I knew about using DOS.

The only thing I could remember was dir/w for a directory. It shows the 31 files. including the program I need to access, but I can't remember the syntax or format to start the program. I remember that the commands have to have the spaces, slashes, etc. in exactly the right sequence or you get nowhere.......just the "invalid command" message and the C prompt again and again..... tried typing C:> stupiddamncomputer but that doesn't work no matter where you put the backslash.

Hoping that someone can point me in the right direction with this issue.

Thanks

AMD A10-7700K, MSI A68HM, 2 x 8GB Avexir DDR3 2133, 240GB SSD x 2 & 1TB SATAIII x 4, McAfee, Windows 10 Pro, Office 2016.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 05:42 AM

If typing the DIR command with no other switch than /w displays the file you are needing to run, then it is located in the root directory. In most cases you can run it directly by simply typing its name.

If the program is one that needs to be given information from the command prompt, such as the name or location of a data file, this can vary from program to program as to the exact syntax.

At the very least, typing the program's filename should run it. Taking their cue from DOS's own utilities, some programs will respond to name /?[i] or [i]name /help with command syntax information.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:00 AM

If you click on commands here
http://www.computerhope.com/msdos.htm
they do show the syntax. Have fun :thumbsup:

#4 yr-less

yr-less

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:45 AM

If you are needing to copy data from the machine to another HDD or floppy, you can use the 'copy' command.

You should be able to type 'copy /h' to get the correct syntax.

If you are copying to a floppy it should look something like this : c:>copy c:/myprog/*.* a:/
The above command will copy everything in the 'myprog' folder to the a: drive. Just replace 'myprog' with the name of the folder.

#5 frankblourtango

frankblourtango

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:26 PM

boot up with Knoppix CD. Then you can look at the hard drive and see what you have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users