Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! I Can't Open Any Of My Photos.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 johnwingrove

johnwingrove

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:09 PM

Hi there, Can anyone help me with my problem. I recently upgraded to MS Office 2007. It may be a co-incidence, but since then I can't open any of my photos. If I go to "My Photos" folder all my named photos are there shown as JPEG icons but when I click on them Photoshop opens up but the screen remains black with the message "Failed to load photo". The size of the files indicates the data is still there but I don't seen to be able to display the image. Any ideas?
Regards, John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:19 PM

When you right-click on a picture and select properties, do you see anything odd? Are the file extensions .jpeg or have they changed? Is Photoshop the program you normally use to open them?
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 29 October 2007 - 07:23 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 johnwingrove

johnwingrove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 05:17 PM

Hi garmanma,

Thanks for replying. The file icons in "my pictures" all have the generic JPEG icon displayed whereas previously thumbnails were displayed. Right clicking and properties shows nothing strange. If I try to open with Adobe Photoshop CS I get the message "Could not complete your request because JPEG marker segment length is too short ( the file may be truncated or incomplete)"

Any idea what the problem is?

Thanks in anticipation,

Rgds, John

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 05:56 PM

Is it the same for all .jpgs, or just some of them?

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:51 PM

Well as far as the generic icon instead of a thumbnail, on the toolbar click on View and select Thumbnail. On your error it's best to understand what truncated means:

To cut off the end of something. Usually, the term is used to describe a type of rounding of floating-point numbers. For example, if there are too few spaces for a long floating-point number, a program may truncate the number by lopping off the decimal digits that do not fit: 3.14126 might be truncated to 3.14. Note that truncation always rounds the number down. If the number 1.19999 is truncated to one decimal digit, it becomes 1.1, not 1.2.

Which means somehow you could have possibly lost or corrupted the files. There's discussions about this in the forums in Adobe's site. There are different reasons
In my researching this I found a site that offers a free application to retrieve truncated .jpeg files. It might be worth a shot
http://schmidt.devlib.org/software/identif...jpeg-files.html

I also found this suggestion
"You've got to go to the "file exchange" control panel and "map" the jpg suffix to photoshop. The normal install on recent OS's defaults to use Picture Viewer to open jpeg's."

Mark

Edited by garmanma, 30 October 2007 - 06:53 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users