Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory, Storage Of Photos

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Molly1173

Molly1173

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:45 PM

I don't even know where to put this. I have about 4 years worth of photos...17.7 GB...on my computer. I'd love to compress them or save them somewhere else or something. The computer runs slow....Burning them to cd will take for-freakin-ever...any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:06 PM

Depending on the format of the images, compressing might not help, much.
If they're .jpgs, you would barely notice any compression, since that's already a compressed format.

I suggest you get an external harddrive, and transfer the images, and any other personal files, to that.
Harddrives are fairly cheap, right now.
You could pick up a $40 80GB drive, with a $12+ enclosure, and have enough storage space to last, for several years.

Edited by tg1911, 29 October 2007 - 08:13 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:19 PM

Hi Molly1173

Welcome to BleepingComputer. :thumbsup:

This post has crossed with that of tg1911, but I will just say that it is a fact of life that every Hard Drive will crash sooner or later so if you have stuff you really do not want to lose, you must take the time and make the effort to back it up regularly.
Personally, I have a 250GB ext USB to image my C: drive, and another 200GB one to keep large files eg. movies on. These cost very little these days and are well worth it for peace of mind.

Good luck.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:00 PM

Invest in a dual layer DVD±RW. A single DVD will hold more than 8 gb of data.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Molly1173

Molly1173
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:05 PM

Wow...fast responses...thanks!!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:07 PM

One more suggestion, store them on DVDs, just make sure that you use good media like Tiayo Yuden or Verbatim.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Molly1173

Molly1173
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:33 AM

Invest in a dual layer DVD±RW. A single DVD will hold more than 8 gb of data.

I like the idea....I'm not all that savvy in the technicalities though... can you suggest a particular one or two to consider buying? I'd be willing to spend up to $50 or so. Just want to make sure I have the right thing. I have an HP computer, kinda older...maybe 4 years old...with Windows XP.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:39 AM

This LiteOn is $29.99 with free three day shipping, not a bad unit and not a bad price. The sticker shock will come when you purchase dual layer media, even in bulk a fifty pack will cost you $69.99, a ten pack will cost $35.99. The good news is that you can still use single layer media which you can purchase a 100 pack for about $30.00 for good media, you're still looking a 4.75GB of storage at about thirty cents per disc.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Molly1173

Molly1173
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:36 PM

This LiteOn is $29.99 with free three day shipping, not a bad unit and not a bad price. The sticker shock will come when you purchase dual layer media, even in bulk a fifty pack will cost you $69.99, a ten pack will cost $35.99. The good news is that you can still use single layer media which you can purchase a 100 pack for about $30.00 for good media, you're still looking a 4.75GB of storage at about thirty cents per disc.

Reading the cons on that one, the software issue concerns me.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:49 PM

LiteOn actually has some of the better firmware out there today, I wouldn't base my decision on the reviews that you read there. Google the drive and see if you can find reviews by an independent source.

#11 Molly1173

Molly1173
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 08:13 PM

Soooo, I talked to a guy at Circuit City...he suggested an external hard drive and/or more memory for my pc. I saw one on Newegg Western Digital External Hard Drive - 250GB for $74.49. Now, getting an external hard drive...would additional memory for my computer really be necessary?

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 08:32 PM

Western Digital is and excellent choice. I would still invest in a DVD±RW when you have an extra $30. If you have less than 1 gb of RAM I would think you would be well served to increase your RAM.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 08:37 PM

More memory is the quickest way to update a computer, up to a limit. For most application 2GB is more than adequate, most operating systems will not recognize amounts exceeding 3GB.

A second hdd is nice to have and can increase you storage capacity, but at this time they are still mechanical devices and will eventually fail, this is why I suggest storing important files on CDs or DVDs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users