Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Novice with 98SE issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 doublespy

doublespy

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 15 February 2005 - 11:11 PM

I've been having some serious computer issues. Recently my computer isn't loading up right like it will stall for 10-15 seconds before pulling the desktop. I'll get to flash blue screens on an all black screen during this stall too! I only stuck with the 98 as I heard XP was under a lot of attack by hackers.

The other issue I have is now my computer freezes within loading my anti-virus or other programs and I would say I have about 20 seconds before it freezes and I have to reboot a billion times before I can actually use it with it doing this.

I obviously will back everything up but this computer was built by a guy who lives to far to drive now. I have all the original software but unlike the Dell, Gateway, pre-built ready for your home computers with one or two disks to redo your drive, I have severl. One is for video, HD one, the XP, and that's it.

Any help from you experts would be greatly appreciated!!!!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2005 - 09:35 AM

Is this a full version of XP or an upgrade version? If its an upgrade version you will need your 98 CD during the XP install.

What type of computer is this? Specifically what is your CPU and how much Ram do you have? How big is your hard drive? Xp needs a lot more resources to run properly than 98.

Here's What You Need to Use Windows XP Home Edition
PC with 300 megahertz (MHz) or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233-MHz minimum required;* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

1.5 gigabyte (GB) of available hard disk space.

Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher resolution video adapter and monitor

CD-ROM or DVD drive

Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

Here's What You Need to Use Windows XP Professional
PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space

Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

CD-ROM or DVD drive

Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

Pay close attention to the minimum requirements as well as understanding that additional bits and pieces may be needed to enjoy the full extent of the features XP offers. If your current computer doesn’t meet or substantially exceed these requirements it would almost assuredly be a wiser choice to purchase a new machine with XP preinstalled rather than follow the upgrade path.

One final note about a common misunderstanding. Upgrade, as it refers to this article, simply means being able to install Windows XP based on the current operating system installed on your computer. If you are not eligible to upgrade you will have to purchase the full version of XP as opposed to the upgrade version. Once you have made this determination, the next step is deciding whether to to do an [Upgrade] or [New Install] from whatever version you purchased.

After you have backed up your data and are ready to install XP go into the bios and set your boot sequence to have the Cd drive as the first boot device. The computer will boot from the XP CD and the setup program will start. You will be presented with the option of formatting the drive along the way. Choose the NTFS option.

Read this for information on the process of installing XP. It discusses XP Pro but Home is much the same.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 doublespy

doublespy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2005 - 10:58 AM

Thanks Leurgy! I have an AMD processor with 80GB Seagate HD. The other stuff I'll have to double check on but very positive I have the minimum if not better than that. However, I was told the XP could be used on my machine either during or after it was loaded with 98. This is the Second edition but I upgraded from the first later due to my Ext. HD requirements. The version I have is XP professional.

I will check the microsoft elgibility requirements link and go from there. Of course if I have any questions, I will repost here as to what that is. Many thanks again!!!!

Let the fun begin!!!! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users