Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

85-100% Cpu Usage, Hardware Interrupts

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jrandall

jrandall

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:27 PM

I've had this problem with abnormally high cpu usage when I have no programs running. I like to edit video and play an occasional game and it prevents me from doing anything smoothly, even while meeting necessary requirements. I have used process explorer and come to find out it's due to "hardware interrupts". I have no idea what could be causing this.

My specs are ...

Windows XP Home Edition SP2
AMD Sempron 3500+
2 ghz
2 gig ram
geforce 7200 GS

Edited by jrandall, 29 October 2007 - 04:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:58 PM

Rather than have me try to explain...take a look at the following links:

http://homepages.uel.ac.uk/u0219091/Interrupt.htm

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread7297.html I agree with Comment #2.

The best advice I can give is: Check Event Viewer for errors, in particular driver/hardware items.

I don't think I've ever seen this one, so I have no experience to draw on...and I believe that troubleshooting these at the normal user level is probably going to prove impossible.

The one thing I can think of that might be involved is a system which needs to have chkdsk or defrag run on it...and I always tend to start my hardware suspicions with a good check of the hard drive.

Louis

#3 jrandall

jrandall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:03 PM

I've tried reinstalling windows before and nothing changed other than more wasted time. I have google'd the crap out of the subject myself for the past couple months had come across both of those links ;)

I just can't find an answer online. It's crazy to think that this hasn't happened to anyone else as much as I originally thought it would. I have no idea where to even begin now. How do I go about doing a "good check of the harddrive"?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:15 PM

How do I go about doing a "good check of the harddrive"?

You go to the mfg's site for your hard drive and download their diagnostic tool. Then you can download Memtest86 and check your memory
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:33 PM

In addition to garmanma's advice, I'd also download and run this free utility from within Windows to see if there's any issues that it can detect: http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.html?dir...n=sware_dl_3264
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 jrandall

jrandall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 05:06 PM

Thanks guys. I've tried all of the diagnostic tools you all have suggested. I made all the suggested fixes on the SiSsoftware program. I ran the mfg's tools as well with no problems.

I also ran memtest86. It found some errors (although I wasn't sure 100% how to troubleshoot the results) so I figured I'd change out the ram sticks. I still have the same problem with high cpu usage/laggy games/skipped frames on video playback with the new memory.

Process explorer still says 20% idle 80% hardware interrupts. Am I basically forced to replace parts since I'm not super advanced to troubleshoot these problems? How do I know which hardware to replace, if so? I thank you guys for your help. I don't have much money, so a new computer isn't coming soon. I just don't understand why this is happening, how do I find the cause of these "hardware interrupts" that process explorer is telling me about?

Edited by jrandall, 30 October 2007 - 05:24 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:17 AM

Some people will say that a few memory errors are OK - I'm not one of them. I'd say replace the sticks that are bad. To find out which one's are to blame, you can test them individually. To be absolutely certain, also try testing a known good stick in each of the slots on the motherboard (to rule out a bad slot).

What errors did SiSoft Sandra show? Since it showed errors and your RAM showed errors - is there a possibility that this machine was struck by lightning or had a power surge go through it? Surges can also come through the cable/DSL/phone line - and will bypass your surge protector (lost several pieces of equipment to this).

I'd have to suggest (at this point) that you try a system stripdown to isolate the cause of this. Here's a link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/70216/hardware-troubleshooting-via-system-stripdown/ Basically it's just stripping everything out of your system and then adding pieces back until the problem recurs - then it's likely that the last piece added is causing the problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users