Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Will Not Start

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 toonarmynufc

toonarmynufc

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 02:51 PM

help i have a very big problem . my computer will not start up now ,it comes up with a message that says ,windows did not start successfully, a recent haedware or software change might have caused this ect ect. at the end it has safe mode,safe mode with networking ,safe mode with command prompt,last know good configuration,and startwindows normally. tried all but to no avail it also flashess for a split second to a blue screen then back to the same message . i also can not turn off the computer i have to kill the power . please can some one help thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:08 PM

:thumbsup:

Hiya,

A little more information please, have you recently installed any new hardware, in particular any RAM strips.

Regards,

Tony
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#3 toonarmynufc

toonarmynufc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:18 PM

no tried to enadle a driver that was not working can not rememder what it was

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:14 PM

Can you get into safemode?
Mark

Sorry read the original post too quick

Edited by garmanma, 29 October 2007 - 04:29 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 toonarmynufc

toonarmynufc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:26 PM

it trys to start in all the modes (safe- safe with networking-safe with command prompt-last known and normal) but still gose back to the same message at the start then will not turn off

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:27 PM

One of the options in the Safe Mode screen should be to disable automatic rebooting - choose that one and the window will stop on the Blue Screen the next time. Write the numbers down and post them here (along with any filenames that may appear) and we'll be able to work on the BSOD.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 toonarmynufc

toonarmynufc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:51 PM

there is no options to disable automatic rebooting and the BSOD is on for split sec

#8 toonarmynufc

toonarmynufc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:41 PM

how do i get the BSOD on i can see it only when i start in normal mode but only for a split second

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:03 PM

there is no options to disable automatic rebooting and the BSOD is on for split sec

Disable reboot and about Event Viewer

In Windows XP, the default setting is for the computer to reboot automatically when a fatal error occurs. You should be able to see the error by looking in the Event Log. Read "How To Use the Event Viewer Applet".

An easy way to use Event Viewer is to create a log as follows:

* Click Start > Run and type: eventvwr
* press Ok or Enter.
* In the right pane, right-click on "Applications", select save log file as, and save the log to your desktop as app.csv
* In the right pane, right-click on "System", select save log file as, and save the log to your desktop as sys.csv
* You can use Notepad to open each .csv file and search for any problems.

A free tool you can use to view your event logs is WinAudit.

* After download, double-click WinAudit.exe to launch.
* Under "To audit your computer...", click the Here link.
* WinAudit will start examining your computer and generate a System Overview Profile.
* Under Categories in the left pane, select Error Logs.
* There will be three sub-categories: Application Errors, Security Errors and System Errors.
* From there, scroll down the list to view the logs.
* You can click the "Save" button at the top to save a report in .html format.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An alternative is to turn off the automatic reboot feature so you can actually see the error code/STOP Message when it happens - this is also known as the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD).

To change the recovery settings and Disable Automatic Rebooting, go to Start > Run and type: sysdm.cpl
Click Ok or just press WINKEY + Pause/Break keys to bring up System Properties.

* Go to the Advanced tab and under "Startup and Recovery", click on the "Settings" button and go to "System failure".
* Make sure "Write an event to the system log" is checked and that "Automatically restart" is UNchecked.
* Click "OK" and reboot for the changes to take effect.

Doing this won't cure your problem but instead of crashing and restarting you will get a blue diagnostic screen with an error code and other information that will allow you to better trace your problem. You can use Google to search the error code or use the links below to investigate and troubleshoot.

Special thanks to quietman
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 toonarmynufc

toonarmynufc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:45 PM

i can not get to window at all when i first start my computer it gose on black backgrond with this message----- we apologize for the inconvenience,but windows did not start successfully.a recent hardware or software change might have caused this. if your computer stopped responding,restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders,choose last known good configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked. if a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem , choose start windows normally. safe mode safe mode with networking safe mode with command prompt last known good configuration (your most recent settings that worked) start windows normally use the up and down arrow to move the highlight to your choice. have tried all to start the computer but gose back to this messge the only one where i get the BSOD is last known and start windows normally but only for a micro second . and in start windows normally is the only one where i can see the windows logo

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:23 PM

Try running chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console.

http://www.schrockinnovations.com/chkdsk.php

If it runs, after it completes...try booting.

Louis

#12 toonarmynufc

toonarmynufc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:56 AM

i can not get my computer to do anything except my last message i'm on my laptop to post replys

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,296 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:10 PM

Take the hard drive out of the computer...temporarily put it in a system that is working...run chkdsk /r or the equivalent on the drive through that particular system.

Nothing to lose...

Louis

#14 toonarmynufc

toonarmynufc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 04:55 PM

tried to start up the computer with the instalation cd now have a message that reads --- setup has determined that drive c: is corruted and cannot be repaired. setup cannot continue.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,296 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 06:09 PM

Game, set...and match.

A couple of things you should know:

a. Understand that when there are hard drive problems, chkdsk /r is able to overcome many of those that deal with bad sectors, file system, etc. When chkdsk /r is unable to run, there is a need for a stronger alternative.

b. The hard drive manufacturers provide diagnostic programs for the disks they make. I accept these as the final, authoritative word on the condition of the drive, as do the manufacturers (most, if not all, will request that their programs be run on a disk whenever there is a possible RMA (return merchandise authorization) situation.

c. I would download the diagnostic and run the long test. Do not do a low-level format. The long test will take several hours, may last overnight (depending on size of drive) but it is very extensive and definitive.

d. The file system (NTFS or FAT32) can become corrupted. My experience is that XP will tell me just that...the file system is corrupted. The only cure for that which works for me is a wipe/format/clean install.

Others may have points to suggest...

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 31 October 2007 - 06:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users